Disappointed with RSD12d install

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
soundname

Disappointed with RSD12d install

Post by soundname »

First off, let me say that I do not doubt what the RSD's can do. I am just disappointed at my install and looking for help to make it right.

What my setup consists of:
(2) RSD12d's wired parallel to 1ohm to a Hifonics BX1605d in sealed enclosures about 1.5 cu. ft after sub displacement.

My problem is that they do not get loud and that some notes don't sound so great. I compared a song on my computer to my car and the notes in my car sound very weird. I guess you can say they sound kind of high pitched and muddy. I was expecting this setup would amaze me and make me want to live in my car, but I am far from that right now. I need help!!

Some pictures:

Had to do 2 separate boxes because a single box wouldn't fit :(
I know the boxes arent "together", I was going to fix that afterwards.

Sorry for the blurriness. Everything is off except the LPF.

Please help me out. Any suggestions would help. Make me happy again! :(
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Yeah, I was going to ask about the crossover/LPF... what's it set at? How are the RSd's wired to the amp?
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
soundname

Post by soundname »

There are no numbers on the LPF, just from 35-250hz. As you can barely see in the picture.. the LPF is set at about 1/3. Is there a definate way to know what your LPF is set at?

The RSD's are wired in parallel to 1 ohm. Like this:
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

soundname wrote:Is there a definate way to know what your LPF is set at?

Check your manual, it usually will give it in clicks. ie... 10 clicks to right is 40Hz.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

so where your gain set at?

Secure the boxes...when boxes move around = bad

BRACING?

STUFF THE BOXES with poly fill?

they could be out of phase...

maybe not sealed properly boxes

lol 2 RSd for a non splers should be plenty loud...
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

2 seperate boxes.. :cry: Im sure you can make a single enclosure fit in their with some decent box designing.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

my guess is that they are out of phase
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

Ahsmo wrote:my guess is that they are out of phase

x2 switch the wires on one of them around and see what changes
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
soundname

Post by soundname »

bdubs767 wrote:so where your gain set at?

Secure the boxes...when boxes move around = bad

BRACING?

STUFF THE BOXES with poly fill?

they could be out of phase...

maybe not sealed properly boxes

lol 2 RSd for a non splers should be plenty loud...
My gains are set correctly (I think) giving me about 36volts on the DMM when my car is on playing a -3db 55hz tone.

The boxes will be secured after I get the prolem fix. Don't worry.

Polyfill will be added if people think it is fit to add. But shouldn't the box be big enough?

I did everything I could to properly seal the boxes with silicone. I used lots of it too
Mackenzie wrote:2 seperate boxes.. :cry: Im sure you can make a single enclosure fit in their with some decent box designing.
Is having 2 seperate boxes that bad?
Ahsmo wrote:my guess is that they are out of phase
So if they are wired out of phase.. that'll cause them to be not loud? What exactly does wiring out of phase me by t he way??
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

soundname wrote:So if they are wired out of phase.. that'll cause them to be not loud? What exactly does wiring out of phase me by t he way??
Means you may have accidently crossed your wires ie... pos.(+) lead connected to a neg. (-) lead.
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

Out of phase means the voice coils will deflect in the opposite direction to over come sound anomolies in some car cabins. Many X-overs and EQ devices have a switch for this purpose.

I agree with the "out of phase" concern voiced above. You shouldalso be getting decent sound with all your amp pots set to the middle. I see one is cranked way up, but the pic is too blurry to identify.

Try running just one sub to begin with. If it sucks, try the phase change. If that sucks, try the other unit. If that sucks, I'll give you $100 for the pair. Can your amp manage a single ohm? I'm not familiar with that unit.

Question for all - Is strapping your amp to the side of the sub box normal? I would suggest the sub's vibration ain't no good for the amp. Comments?

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
soundname

Post by soundname »

wow.. i wired one sub out of phase.............. and now.. i am happy. still havent really listened. I only listened for about 3 seconds. THANKS GUYS!! :D
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

soundname wrote:wow.. i wired one sub out of phase.............. and now.. i am happy. still havent really listened. I only listened for about 3 seconds. THANKS GUYS!! :D

good to here....come back let us know what you think once you get a good listen too. And stuff the boxes too it will help some, take a stroll out to walmart pick up some polyfill and give the subs a listen on the way.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

soundname wrote:wow.. i wired one sub out of phase.............. and now.. i am happy. still havent really listened. I only listened for about 3 seconds. THANKS GUYS!! :D
wait a minute only one of the subs are out of phase? So how is each VC wired up? Can you give me another pic like before....I'm such a good damn visual learner.

Id try wiring both woofers out of phase.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Good to see you got it working better. Here is a diagram to follow.

http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/wiringtutorial.html
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

As for 2 seperate sealed boxes, its just more of a hassle to deal with. YOu have to secure them in some way so that they dont hit each other and sound like crap. Its just more trouble than its worth, unless its some custom glased instal with an enclosure on each side of the trunk.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

dude u work for Whitey Bulger or something?

bat in the trunk?
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

likely uses said bat to convince local store owners to purchase insurance.
I'm afraid of widths.
soundname

Post by soundname »

hahaha I just have the bat in there just because. No real reason. You never know when you'll need a bat :lol:
bdubs767 wrote: good to here....come back let us know what you think once you get a good listen too. And stuff the boxes too it will help some, take a stroll out to walmart pick up some polyfill and give the subs a listen on the way.
Sorry but what would polyfill do again? Wouldn't it just "increase" the sound quality a little more? Or would it make the subs louder?
bdubs767 wrote:
wait a minute only one of the subs are out of phase? So how is each VC wired up? Can you give me another pic like before....I'm such a good damn visual learner.

Id try wiring both woofers out of phase.
I wired the wrong terminal of one sub to the amp. The other sub was wired fine.

What do you mean you would try wiring both woofers out of phase? Isn't wiring out of phase what anyone is trying to stay away from?

Here's how it was wired before: (the thick lines was my fault :roll: )

Image[/img]
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

^^Wiring both out of phase would make them sound normal, but since your problem is fixed now, its irrelevant.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

soundname wrote:
What do you mean you would try wiring both woofers out of phase? Isn't wiring out of phase what anyone is trying to stay away from?
You previously had one of the subs out of phase relative to the other sub. This scenario is always bad because it causes severe bass cancelation.

What bdubs was referring to was attempting to wire BOTH subs out of phase relative to the rest of the speakers in the system. (some decks have a feature that can accomplish this by inverting the signal on the rca's before it ever gets to the amp) Sometimes doing this can be beneficial in overcoming the poor positioning of a subwoofer in a car and actually make your subs sound better.