slc has got a REAL question

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

slc has got a REAL question

Post by slc72005 »

got a buddy that has a aftermarket headunit.

heres the problem there is engine whine coming from 1 of the speakers, ground loop is the first thing i thought of.

well its only happening to 1 of the speakers so took it out and wired it direct to the headunit and its still there, so running new wirres wont do crap to fix it, as i thought the speaker wire might have been grounded

and the wirring for hte speakers dont share a common ground, like in some crs you only got 5 wores for 4 speker as they all share the sme ground.

i will try to throu in a different headunit as i think that it the cause

but errin i remember that you were saying that you can put a resistor in line and filter out he noise going to the 1 speaker, if im correct what kind and size resistor
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Adding a resistor inline will only lessen the overall sound from the speaker. Now, if it's a mid just put an inductor on it and problem solved. But it sounds like a HU issue to me. try grounding the HU and amps directly to the battery, see if that fixes it.
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

its only a headunit, not externat amps.

were can i get an inducer at?

tried grounding to the battery, its definantly the headunit im thinking

its a cheap car and friend doesnt have much money and its jsut a winter beater but the noise piss's him off, so really looking for a cheap fix nothing for SQ perposes here
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Francious70 wrote:Adding a resistor inline will only lessen the overall sound from the speaker. Now, if it's a mid just put an inductor on it and problem solved. But it sounds like a HU issue to me. try grounding the HU and amps directly to the battery, see if that fixes it.

strange from one speaker....my guess its cd player like paul said.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

bdubs767 wrote:to the battery, see if that fixes it.

strange from one speaker....my guess its cd player like paul said.[/quote]

thats wahts got me stumped

becasue i could be wrong in this thinking but wouldnt the ground for the right front and right rear be common, if so it should have the noise on the left side

my 1 thought was this, can when the speaker is mounted int he door soe how the speaker terminal is touching metal and thats whats causing the ground loop? or does it sound retarded?
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

I have stolen hundreds of dollars from my friends. If you know me, stay away, because I will steal from you too.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Possibly that channel of the HU's internal amp is grounding out somewhere?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Francious70 wrote:Possibly that channel of the HU's internal amp is grounding out somewhere?
but if its just one speaker it has to be that independent channel that has a grounding problem which can be any countless thing within the guts.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Or it could be a poorly designed HU with bleed over, or it could be a piece of stray wire inside the HU. It really could be a number of thing, but we won't know until we hear back from SLC about swapping HU's.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

you don't have to swap the decks to confirm that the deck is in fact the culprit. simply wire the suspected channel to a different set of speaker wires at the radio harness. if the noise was only in one speaker before and the noise now plays thru the new speaker it effectively confirms that there is a problem internal to the head unit.

do you have a dmm to take test with? you'll want to take a few measurementst in the vehicle to ensure that the installation won't cause problems with a repaired or replacement head unit.
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

havent gotten to it, but i have a feeling that when the speaker is mounted the terminal is touching metal or close enough to it to cause the ground loop
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

I have stolen hundreds of dollars from my friends. If you know me, stay away, because I will steal from you too.