Should I buy the ultimate?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Should I buy the ultimate?

Post by ydnap »

So I phoned Cunard yesterday, chatted up this bird and saved another $300 off my sailing :lol: Bummer was they were fully booked for the 16th so I cant leave til later.

Anyways, I am seriously considering getting a CV Stroker 10. I can pick one up for around $209 shipped. I dont have a car, dont have an amp, but, want one anyway :D

Hear me out.. Basically in the UK theyre about 600 pounds, or $1200. I dont want to buy it to sell it as lugging 47lbs accross the ocean isnt worth it. But I just 'want' one, always have since they came out.

I dont know if I could ever use it because I'll be living with family in a very upmarket part of town, but I just want to look at it, pet it and stuff.

Would you?

I know alot of you guys have shit sitting in your closet, do you feel crazy for doing that?

I think tbh its more a mater of curiosity. I have wanted one ever since the new inner tube type was introduced, but never had the cash or the desire that I do now.

What should I do, I'm torn :lol:
If you're going through hell keep going

Winston Churchill

"this is the world's most powerfulest high's amp."

Some dumb cunt.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

And has anyone ever heard one? How about that lloyd dude who was batshit insane and loved to blow things up?

Edit or should I go for the 12? I mean Im likely never to use it (although I will build a cabinet as a showpiece) but the 12 is only $30 more.

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I can't say wheather YOU should do it, but I do have a few speakers and amps in my closet, not being used. Just sitting there, acting all lonely and stuff.
Boomshackalacka
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

aw hell just buy it pandy......you only live once :D
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

yeah I think Im gonna.. Ive always wanted one, itll make a great piece even if I never use it !

Gonna order my asus EEE later, those things are brilliant :)

Hey, at least its cheap enough (the stroker) go get my money back out of CV. I just hope I have no issues, cos I know stanton are assholes.

I knew the CEO of CV personally, I named all of their former employees including the guy I shipped my 18 to and they did fuck all to appease me.

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Buy it man. You have the biggest CV stroker boner I have ever seen. It's simply a crime that you don't own one.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

The oldskool ones were, quite literally the best power subs on the planet. NOTHING could touch them until the inner tube speakers came around..

It's more of a curiosity thing tbh and, my only chance of owning one without getting my ass fucked sore. Theyre over 600 pounds in the UK (around $1200) so screw that !

Sod it, Ill order one later with the lappy and all the other shit I have planned lmao...

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Buy it and have someone/one of us ship it to you when you get there. Can't say I've ever seen a 10" version.
Greg Kitching
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

I can take it with me Greg. See, even though the boat cost me $1600 I can take all I can carry. When you get there they take it down to your room on a dolly, then at the end unload it all where I will have a mate waiting.

Thats the main reason Im going by boat. Ive got 3 suitcases (one carrying my alienware workstation, one clothes and one gamecube stereo and them 6x9s I have) I might even get another one :D

To fly it would run me at least $700, Id be scared out of my fucking wits and I wouldnt get a vacation, plus youre limited to 2 50lb suitcases. I can carry about 10000 worth of shit this way, and live like a king for the week..

Im buying my mate a set of clif design components too, $70 shipped for his m3 soft top :)

Edit. They never made a 10 in the oldskool ones, 12 15 and 18. Now they do 10 12 and 15.

Check this fucker out. 47lbs of insanity. Hmm, the 12 is 47, 10 is 30lbs lol

$209 shipped, retail over $600
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (57.32 KiB) Viewed 6513 times

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

The good old Strokers are lovely - that is why I have two of those 18" DCs... I simply love them....
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

pandy, was it you that wanted my 6x9 grills?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

argh you had some? yeah I did need them bro, but I bought a set of infinity reference ones for $15 shipped. I have to say tho, theyre gorgeous and the badges match the logo on the head unit :)

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

shit, sorry dude.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Nah no problem man, these ones are really really nice..

Silver matt plastic with like radioactive shape thinger with mesh and cloth in 2 parts.. Theyre badged infinity, so they match the HU perfectly.

I decided that my uber super duper ghetto blaster is going to look sick.. I am going to build a facia out of mdf, then cut rings to step out the 6x9s and stereo, then bondo them sloped.. Then, paint it with resin and put on some real carbon fibre (got that here, its amazing) then coat with resin (super clean and careful like, prolly use a roller) then sand and kandy purple or orange. The back of it (shaped trapezoid) will be in birchply with dark red stain (redwood or rosewood as we call it UK) and then piano laquered to shit like my dresser.

Should look really classy man :) thats going to be by house stereo ran from a PSU and if I ever feel the need for muchos bassos Ill get an amp for the stroker :lol: :lol:

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Pedi wrote:The good old Strokers are lovely - that is why I have two of those 18" DCs... I simply love them....
I had the 189ES (elephant stroker) which was basically the 8ohm one. Identical. Steel pole down the middle, top spider and the assembly that unbolts to stiffen the woofer.. Only difference was the basket was sand cast alu (same) but wasnt polished and painted black. The cone (just FYI dude) is a Fane professional (they told me this little wee secret @ CV) and uses 2 8" symetrical spiders.

The main difference with the stroker was the incredibly small VC gap. It was about 8x smaller than a regular woofer leading to their ridiculous sens rating and power handling. That coupled with the stiffness adjustment just meant dumb power handling :lol:

The stroker was the brainchild of John Fairchild. Hes the guy on the brochure dressed like a nuclear technician, and he invented it in the 70s. These were the woofers used for the movie Earthquake and 16 of them were used in 15,800 cu in ported boxes to blow down a church made from sheetroc (or gyproc or plasterboard depending where you are in the world lmao)

They were re-ohmed in the 90s for car use, and, were completely untouchable by ANYTHING at the time.

The new ones can be completely reconed without any glue or fuck all, it all unbolts :lol:

/Cerwin Vega faboi mode off...

Oh, the company was named after Gene Czerwinski, a polish dude who went to school with James B Lansing (of JBL) they were rivals for 40 years :)

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I like the look the old strokers like Nico had in that little car much better but I'm sure these ones kill as well if not better.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

They wont be anywhere near as good in honesty. They might be louder, but the stroker cone was uber light, super sensitive and stiff.. I mean you could stand in one (literally, I did with a blown one once..)

The sens of the old ones was like 98db 1w 1m, the new ones are like 82.

In truth theyre not even real cerwin vegas anymore, theyre stanton crap.. The guys @ CV point blank refused to make an 'inner toob speaker' as they used to call them because in all honesty theyre heavy, clumsy and sound shit. CVs whole philosophy was making big speakers sound fucking great.. As soon as you add a 1/2 thick cone and that dumb massive surround you lose any audio clarity.. Thats why Im not so fussed about even using it, I just want it as a showpiece :D

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Ive looked at my finances and tbh Im not going to get this.. If I could afford to have it lying around I would jump at it, but there are things I need when I get home (coffee machine and so on) that WILL get used.

Ah well, bummer, and I hate being old cos it makes you think things through properly :lol: But I know its for the best :)

Still getting my little iddy laptop tho :P

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

well...as long as you feel good about yer decision, then we do to....besides, it's not like you cant ever change your mind:)
what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

Jumping in here and wondering except for ratings.. I'm leaning towards SQ mostly.. how do the strokers (old'skool jointz) and/or even the newer jointz compare to the w6's by JL??? Someone asked me my honest opinion a few weeks ago, and I said go with the JL's I have JL's and have always loved them. I have never heard or expirienced the Stroker jointz. What say ya'll?

matt
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums