Help me make some decisions

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Help me make some decisions

Post by Jacampb2 »

I am trying to get sub amps together for my new system I am starting. I had originally intended to find a second Tantrum 1200.1 and run that and the one I have, however, another member on here mentioned the tripath debacle to me, and after researching it, I am not so sure I even want to keep the ta1200.1 I have. fuzzyhonuts has made me a offer to sell one of his cherry ta1200.1's, but I am having trouble making up my mind.

First off, the amps are going to drive 4 cerwin vega stroker 12d2's. You know, the old school ones with the orange tit in the middle :D . The strokers are rated for 1000W RMS each, and my past experience with them, is that they can take it, and they get stroke causing loud at 1/2-full rated power.

What I am thinking, is that the RSD 1200.1 may be a good choice instead. There are sellers blowing them out BNIB for a couple hundred each. I could sell my TA, which has never seen a hard life in my possession, and had the main board replaced at PG when I bought it. I could probably buy 4 RSD's fairly easily w/ all of the over time I am working right now, and SWMBO wont bitch too much. I have no experience with the RSD's though, are they decent? They are the first PG amp that went over seas, aren't they?

I also have 2 zx600ti's, I could try to scrounge up 2 more and run one per sub, but that is still a bit light on power for them.

What I would love to do is buy 4 zpa 0.5's, but I don't see that happening w/o a divorce :D

I was leary about the TA amps too when I bought the first one. I have been happy with it so far though, so I am sold on it. I just don't want to sink more money into a line of amps, which I am going to push hard this time around, and have them fail and have no means of repair.

That said, I have never had a phoenix gold amp in my possession fail. Maybe I just don't abuse them like some, or maybe I have had really good luck.

Give me your thoughts!
Thanks,
Jason
Last edited by Jacampb2 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

From what I understand the RSD amps are very solid. Designed by some of the people who designed the MS series back in the day. I don't think you will have any problems with them.

I think the Xenon line was the first line assembled in Korea, but I could be wrong about that
dgoodhue

Re: Help me make some decisions

Post by dgoodhue »

Jacampb2 wrote:They are the first PG amp that went over seas, aren't they?
The Xenons are when PG went to full production over seas, the lower lines went overseas first. I think the Octane line went overseas first but I am not 100% sure on that. The Tantrums may been outsourced overseas as well, but I really don't know just speculating.

You had me a little confuse when refering to TA amps, I always think of the MS Tenth Anniversary when you say TA :)

I wouldn't have second thought about running the RSD amps. The greta thing is that you still buy them know (and you don't have to deal with a discontinued part like with tantrums)
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

tantrums were still made in portland.

4 rsd1200's would we a good choice...but...if you are buying 4 of them, and running them at 4ohms each. the xenon 600.1's will make similer power, and are normally cheaper (but harder to find)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

If I run individual amps, they will be 2Ω each. If I go with two amps, my choices are 1Ω or 4Ω per amps. I think I may be leaning toward the RSDs. It is good to hear that they are decent amps.

Thanks,
Jason
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

ah, i read that wrong....in that case...the RSD's are deffinetly the way to go
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...