ZPA in thermal

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
schifpine1

ZPA in thermal

Post by schifpine1 »

My buddy gave me a Phoenix Gold ZPA to fix. It was stuck in thermal mode, and I have no idea why. After checking all the thermal sensors, and not finding one that seemed like it measured bad I finally removed them all. Now the amp turns on, but will not pass a signal.

Does anyone have an idea why it is stuck in thermal mode? Any ideas at all?
kg1961
Got wood?

zpa

Post by kg1961 »

any pic to see the board?
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
schifpine1

Post by schifpine1 »

I know it sounds stupid to post now, but I am not in town. I can get pics in a week. For reference it is a ZPA 0.5.
Links of what this looks like:

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Pho ... nside1.jpg

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Pho ... nside3.jpg
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Usually if it is stuck in Thermal means the thermistor sensor is open, ie bad thermistor or one with a broken lead. That was common problem on ZXti but not ZPA.

Put a temporary jumper in there to close the circuit if you haven't already to see what happens.
schifpine1

Post by schifpine1 »

I will try that! That sounds like a good idea. I tried locating replacement thermistors before, but can not find any based on the number on them. If anyone has any other suggestions, or help with where to get parts it would be appreciated!
rJ_sammer

Post by rJ_sammer »

I have a zpa0.3 I have had for years, it needed to be fixed some blown mosfets,which is being done now, but I heard that i will need a TBA or TBA-T with a balanced output to use is amp,Iv used one one before without one, but used a pdl and a blade servo,I ran the amp on 8(eight) run of the mill rockford 12s,wired in pararrel in a .5ohm load,it was louder then hell running that way, has anybody heard this before that the amp will run better on a TBA or TBA-T, I mean I know it will sound better with 15 volts but if I cant find a TBA or TBA-T, I dont what to blow the amp by not running it right,and this amp isnt the one I had running the 12s, so I didnt blow it, so long story short does anybody have a TBA,TBA-T for sale or one I can borrow Ill send back to you as soon as I see the differance,really I will
Fatii

Post by Fatii »

http://webfaq.phoenixphorum.com/ZPA.htm

copy/paste from the link..
Any ZPA amplifier must have at least 8 volts of signal input voltage. That means you MUST have a Tba transmitter (Tbat) or Professional Line Driver (PLD). If you don't have 8 volts of signal input the amplifier will never reach its maximum output levels.