Why do you love PG amps so much ?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
weng

Why do you love PG amps so much ?

Post by weng »

I love the MS series. For some mysterious reasons, they needed much less effort for tuning the car to my liking. For other amps, I needed more time and yet sometimes couldn't get the sound I'm after.

Is it just me ? Or was it their beautiful internal that attracted me too much ? :P
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I was bitten by the PG bug in 1995. Top-of-the-line hand and made in PORTLAND.......... I was instantly hooked. 8) 8) 8)
After hearing how clean and powerfull these amps were with an M50 rated at 100watts rms and a MS275 running a whole system.....
Nothing else on the market appealed to me more than that. It was only then that other high-end audio compaines started surfacing for me like Zappco, Soundstream, Kicker, a/d/s, McIntosh and the likes. The "barbs" on that hook really set after the first competition I went to. Poppin the trunk open to showcase PG gear.... Didn't even have to power it up and guys were drooling all over the install. Looking back, I'll bet it really didn't sound that good (cus I was new) either. :oops: :oops:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
flogger11

Post by flogger11 »

My first PG amp was a MS-2125 running my entire system (2 12" MTX Blue Thunders, Concord 6 x 9's and Concord seperates) w/ passive crossovers all the way around! I decided that I wanted to go active, so I sold my mighty MS-2215 and bought, cough cough, of all things an Alpine V12 5 channel amp. JUNK! After one week with that piece of crap in there, I once again jumped into the PG line, starting w/ an XS2400, then going to an XS4400 before finally settling on my ZX-450! Now I am adding a ZX-350 to my system and will never lack for power again. Thats my PG experience!
Alpine CDA-9887
PG ZX-450 v2
PG ZPA0.5 v2
Polk SR-6500 (active)
(2) PG 10" RSDC-104 (sealed)
PG PLD-1
PG 1/0, 2 Farad cap
Dynamat Extreme Door/Trunk
(Anybody have a HO alternator for a late model Accord V-6?)
martinkruit

Post by martinkruit »

First PG was a MS275 back in 1992.

I loved the sound and the power so much, that i travelled to the states to another 2.
[img]http://phoenixphorum.com/files/phoenixg_970.gif[/img]

Mac 200
Ti 500.2 (Tube pre)
M25 )np cover)
M25, M44, M50, M100, EQ215 (chrome)
QX 2350 x 2
Bass Cube

KLW Image Enhance
KLW Kathedral
Soundstream Reference Class A 10.0
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Strangely enough I didn't start with PG amps... but speakers!

I went to International Stereo in town, to buy some Alpine Type-S woofers to replace my worn out JL W1's. I was going to keep them running in my Corolla off of my Sony Xplod amps. :lol: In true commission fashion, the salesman instead showed me the $500 Titanium 10 woofers. I loved how they sounded and looked, but $500 was almost double my budget for TWO subs. So I went home disappointed.

Then I checked eBay. :shock: I could get TWO Ti10's for $250 SHIPPED!! That's even cheaper than the Alpine Type-R's that were there! So I bought the pair. Strangely enough all of the literature I got never mentioned what the impedance was... so I joined the PG forum (officially run by PG at the time) to ask what impedance my Ti10 was. I hung out there for awhile, and learned basically everything I know today. This is why this community has been very important to me, because they took me in as a fledgeling noob, and turned me into a seasoned audiophile in record time! :lol:

One year I made a trip to Sweden to work over the summer. Alas I was in a student town, which was almost totally empty a week after I got there. So I did what any other reasonable person would do... I blew all of my money on PG gear! I got a Ti900.7, Elite 9-5-1, Elite 6-1, then later a Ti1200.1 and Elite 12D as well. This was all supposed to go in my little shitbox 1985 Corolla when I got home! :lol:

Of course after I hooked up the Ti1200.1 and Elite 12D temporarily, I realized my car was absolutely way too shitty to install all this gear in... so I sold most of it :(. I kept the 900.7 running Elite 5-1's in my front doors, and a Xenon 12D4 in the trunk. That was my first actually good install (I WISH I STILL HAD PICS :()
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

I fell in love with PG back in 1994, when I was studying in Australia
saw a M25 hooked up to a kicker 15" solobaric and was amazed that such a small amp would produce such power.
Looked in the shop at all the PG offerings, but they were way over my budget

so I started with budget amps like L.A. sound and the likes and slowly moved up towards Alpine, Rockford

Then I got bitten by the bug again a couple of years ago when I joined the PG forum (run by PG then) and started buying just about every thing that was available and would fit my budget (I did blow the limit a few times)
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
shaheen

Post by shaheen »

I started off like most fo the guys , straight out of school I worked at an Audio shop , my first PG encounter was cabling , the orange RCA's which were directional, the first directional cable I had seen.

WAs hooked by the Distribution blocks, the power cable and the rest, the PG rep became a friend of mine and I one day had a chance to listen to his car with 2 x M25's , I was hooked.
Went of to study IT after that , but used to still do the odd install, one day while buying some carpet from PG , I met the guy who ran the company and he offered me a job, as a rep and technical guru for them as I knew the product set well.

Basically studied all the manuals and stuff. Saw the Cyclone when it was launched and the ZPA 0.5 and Outlaw and other stuff, did not knwo there was a SOFAS floating in the stock room.

When they closed I got a call from the Owner asking me is I would liek any "items" at 30% below cost, I could not resist , and have since bought all the kit that was there, still have rolls of cable , power and speaker, and RCA's in the boxes. Took home Oulaw, Route 66, SOFAS, EQ's Zaropoint speakers and a NIB Cyclone. Which i have till this day.

AKA Shaheenk
flogger11

Post by flogger11 »

Very nice!
Alpine CDA-9887
PG ZX-450 v2
PG ZPA0.5 v2
Polk SR-6500 (active)
(2) PG 10" RSDC-104 (sealed)
PG PLD-1
PG 1/0, 2 Farad cap
Dynamat Extreme Door/Trunk
(Anybody have a HO alternator for a late model Accord V-6?)
e-dub

Post by e-dub »

what's the word on these?

eric b
shaheen

Post by shaheen »

Zero Point Splits , one of the best splits made by PG, I think they may have been surpassed by the RSD now, but the midbass from these bad boys rivaled anything else I heard.

Also loved the fact that the basket and the magnet are one structue.
AKA Shaheenk
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Started off with a little M25 then made the jump to M50+M100 and quickly snagged an Outlaw. Then moved to MS2125+MS275. Many many PG amps in between and now I'm installing a Xenon 200.4
marko

Post by marko »

before i bought pg amps and processors i had all the cable and gorgeous fuse blocks as stuff, always impressed by the quality of things. then i had an m50/m100 combo brand new back in the day, from there it was set in stone! i then swapped them for ms amps and after owning a hell of a lot of amps and testing them as a hobby, very little has come close to the sq of them!
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
scorpio86

Post by scorpio86 »

figured this would be a good start to the pg forum. been an advocate of pg's for as long as i can remember. my mom managed a photoshop slash sound room store in se ohio. so i grew up with the owners son who worked there, selling car and home audio. carried mostly pg, little bit of pioneer and some boston stuff. when i was finally old enough to start picking pieces up, i landed a whopping qx2180 in black. used it to run a pair of boston acoustics 6x9's and 5.25's. i was really impressed with the amp(and speakers). ended up using it to power a pair of tens and bought a 2100 in black to run 4 4x6's in a 240sx. even had the little link between them. that was my first foray into pg and havent looked back since. last year sold a pair of zx amps, a 450 and 500 matching black. and i currently have a tantrum 1200.1, 600.4, 5/10 ( dont remember how much) farad dist. block, eq230, basscube, tld66 and rmd. all sitting in a closet waiting to be installed. both the 1200.1 and 600.4 were purchased brand new. (makes me sad to see what this stuff sells for on ebay now)
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

My shop was always a 'high-end' shop. We picked up PG accessories way back when that was all they did. Thier quality was great and was something different from what the other shops around carried. When PG starting offering amps and other electronics we were already big on other amp lines and didn't start carrying the electronics until the ZPA's were being introduced.

That was when I meet Larry Fredricks and he turned my world upside down! He spread a fever for ultimate quality that has infected me ever since!
Greg Kitching
denim

Post by denim »

Used to be the pinnacle of car audio, some of the best tech. and design.