Favorite PG amp and why?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
csperl1

Favorite PG amp and why?

Post by csperl1 »

I am sure this has probably been asked before but searching yielded a ton of various results. What is your favorite PG amp and why?

Also any PG techs (hello Roland?)- what series or amp did you see as being generally the most reliable?

My vote goes to the MS2125. It has loads of juice on tap, is nearly indestructible, is usable from 1-4 ohm stereo, and is just basic amplification (no crossover and l the like). Did I mention it sounds good?

Perhaps a we could put up a sticky poll or something?

Uhhhh huh huh I said sticky poll.
Alpine 9887, Rockford 360.2, ZX450's V2, 1 ZX350 V1, Legatia L1's, L3SE's, and, L6's, 2 ea. IDQ10D4V3

(Storage) 3 ea. MS2250TA's, 2 ea. MS250 (in parts)
soth

Post by soth »

MPS2500 and second choice is 2125. Good clean power and has a warm sound to it.

Built like tanks and will last forever.

If I had other choices it would be ZPA, but you need lots of upgrading and other accessories to run them like they should be.
Head Unit: Eclipse CD5000
Amp1: Ti 500.4
Amp2: MPS2500
Crossover: Audiocontrol 6xs
High/Mids: ID CD1-E v1 Horns
Midbass: IDQ 6.5 v2
Subs: IDQ 12 v1
EQ: PG EQ215-X
pnyryd

Post by pnyryd »

I am just a MS fan Period I guess I am partial to the MQ 430 no reason that I can come up with just always liked the amp.

But I am proud to own all the PG MS series amps I have.
Ynot
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

The MS' are the shiznit but I always liked the M series amps.....

I have -
1x M100
1X M44
2X M50
1X M25
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy »

I picked this pamphlet up from the local car audio store. Back then I could only stare at the pictures and dream of a system like that. Now I'm slowly piecing together my old school system. It's always been MS and MPS for me though.

KHPower
Location: In the Phoenix Phorum's boiler room , east of the janitors closet

Post by KHPower »

ZX500 little power pushin work horse :wink:
[color=#8040BF]Kenwood 993
Team Sundown:4500D
(2) Digital Designs 9500's
6 Cubes tuning 3 HZ
Team Kinetik: HC3800 ,(2),1200s (2) 600's
Factory Authorized Kinetik ,Sundown,MB Quart Dealer[/color]
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

ZX450V2 .. gets my vote. At the time one of the most versatile amps around. You could use it as a standard 4chnl, run a comp set active, do a 2way with rear chnls bridged for subs and fronts running highpass or bridge both sets of chnls strictly for subs. With the config switch you could run a 3-way system hp/bp and lp out(if memory serves me right it was the first to be able to do a true bandpass internally w 24db/oct x-overs). All without any additional processors. And, the key here, with plenty of power to satisfy any of the desired set-ups.

So if it's a choice of picking one amp to do a system with I would pick this. It's the 1 PG amp I still own and don't plan on ever letting go.
Greg Kitching
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

My favorite is the Outlaw. I like the graphics, and it has enough power to run whole system for me. M-Series is what got me into PG.

I wouldn't mind have a SOFAS or a MS1000(ta) though either. Those amps look great mount with the internals exposed.

The large PG amps are impressive when installed, but the size can be a draw back as well if your limited for room.
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

gkitching wrote:ZX450V2 .. gets my vote. At the time one of the most versatile amps around. You could use it as a standard 4chnl, run a comp set active, do a 2way with rear chnls bridged for subs and fronts running highpass or bridge both sets of chnls strictly for subs. With the config switch you could run a 3-way system hp/bp and lp out(if memory serves me right it was the first to be able to do a true bandpass internally w 24db/oct x-overs). All without any additional processors. And, the key here, with plenty of power to satisfy any of the desired set-ups.

So if it's a choice of picking one amp to do a system with I would pick this. It's the 1 PG amp I still own and don't plan on ever letting go.
Ditto.

ZX450/Ti500.4. Extremely versatile, and surprisingly powerful. One can run your whole stereo with ease ;)
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

M, MS and MPS
be it limited editions or the normql run

M series is what got me into PG some 14 years ago
Now I have to get each and every one of them
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
PassatBloke

Post by PassatBloke »

Any of the frank amps for me im afraid - hence the dedication in my M44 Project!
Alpine 9887 > Audiocontrol 6xs
PPI PCX-2200 --> Ti9 Elite mids (50-200hz)
PG M44 --> Dynaudio MD100 (4k+)
PG M44 --> CDT HD4 (200-4khz)
Voodoo V1600.1 --> DD9012
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

M25. My first real stereo consisted of two, one for subs and one for my ZP's. Awesome system for a small S-10 Pickup.
kg1961
Got wood?

amp

Post by kg1961 »

I still remeber my first time using a M25 small but out preformed all amps in 94 around that size power house.
now with 16year in car audio I have to say my best amp would be my Frank!!!
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
flogger11

Post by flogger11 »

ZPA all the way baby, there is no comparison!
Alpine CDA-9887
PG ZX-450 v2
PG ZPA0.5 v2
Polk SR-6500 (active)
(2) PG 10" RSDC-104 (sealed)
PG PLD-1
PG 1/0, 2 Farad cap
Dynamat Extreme Door/Trunk
(Anybody have a HO alternator for a late model Accord V-6?)
bruther

Post by bruther »

Outlaw- Enough Said
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms

WHY? you ASk?? well i love the looks.. old'skool all the way and simple and clean.. like the looks, period! and as far as build quality... second to none for the money.... easy for DIY repair(s) and the sound quality is not bad at all either.. sure there are others with perhaps better sq.. but these aint bad at all.. M series takes me for my sencond best.. Love all the m series... as far as limited stuff.. love my nickel plated ms1000, and would love to have a FAS... to go with it!!!

at least this is all my opinion(s)..
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
marko

Post by marko »

ms2250, pure sex on a 12 volt battery 8)
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

Hard to call a favorite for me.

M Series is what got me in to PG back in the early 90's as its all I could afford back then on small wages selling Car Audio at the time. If I remember correctly I paid $1299 (nearly a months wages for me at the time :oops: ) I've still got that amp though with the box/birthsheets etc.. :D

Back then I drooled all over the brochures showing the MS2250 and thought it was so exclusive that I'd be lucky to see one let alone own it. SO, now I have one in my collection.

I'd secretly LOVE a FAS though. As it's an amp I'd like to build a system around. :kiss:
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

MS-series, the 2125 got me into the love of PG - and I still love her..
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
flogger11

Post by flogger11 »

Of all the PG amps I have owned AND had installed in my personal vehicles (XS-4300, XS-4600, ZX-450, Ti475, ZX-500, ZX-350, MS-2125, ZPA0.5) there is such a huge difference going to the ZPA, its almost unbelievable! All insturments are twice the size they were, the sound stage is now HUGE, wide and waaaaay deeper than it ever was with my ZX-350, not to mention this baby ooozes power, headroom and quality. If you havent owned a ZPA, you would just have no way to know how good they really are... I know I didnt nor would I have believed the difference unless I had heard it for myself! Yes, yes, it takes a nice financial commitment to get the full potential from these amps (line driver, 1/0, alternator, etc), but the return is simply amazing! Thank you for these amps Phoenix, you are the best!
Alpine CDA-9887
PG ZX-450 v2
PG ZPA0.5 v2
Polk SR-6500 (active)
(2) PG 10" RSDC-104 (sealed)
PG PLD-1
PG 1/0, 2 Farad cap
Dynamat Extreme Door/Trunk
(Anybody have a HO alternator for a late model Accord V-6?)
tipracer

Post by tipracer »

If I could afford it mph-6300, ultimate in rare dream amps...
but the mq-430 is what got me started, now I have been able to play witht he ZPA, and ms2125 but I keep having a hard time deciding which one I like best....In a dream world I would build a frankampznstein out of zpa's 2- .3 and a .5 under the same chassis using the xocards I think it would be bad A, might pull 230 amps but it would be cool to see it put together!!!
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

^hehe, you would need a new rig to have it installed. the mph is massive :)

i'm still in love with the original octane. not the biggest amp, but just screams "badass"

and the offroad's.... 8)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

ZPA's. Errin said it best. Look in my sig above the pic.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

What hooked me was the TI line! Loved the sexy looks. Also like my MS1000, and My Octane LE.
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

MS and M Special Editions for me cosmetically..... MS 's just too sexy with plexiglass showing off it 2 separeted stages and Outlaw with it's classic wild west theme and finishing....

the new ones.... RSDs of course !

performance wise , hey..it'all PG aren't they , what's there to compare ... :)

but of course i've come to understand that ZPA is the very best among all.....
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S