Mids

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Wink

Mids

Post by Wink »

aight guys the other day i asked about 12" xenon subs....and someone said he hopes i have good mids?

now..how does one buy mids, what to look for, and can i buy component sets with mids? and wheres a good place to buy em from?

and lastly do i need an external crossover or do i use my HU's...anyone understand my question... :roll: lol
Boxing Is My Life So Dont Try To Take My Life [img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/1Winky/Boxing_match.gif[/img]
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

you can get mids many ways

you can use 6 or 8" woofers from any company

they have lots here: http://www.madisound.com/

or you can use jus the mid from a componet set.

you will probibly need some kind of external crossover depending on your H/U

generally you want to give the mids a limited range of notes. something like 40-120 (just an example, it will depend on your mid basses and front speakers)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Wink

Post by Wink »

so woofers are mids then right?
Boxing Is My Life So Dont Try To Take My Life [img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/1Winky/Boxing_match.gif[/img]
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

there is a difference between mids and midbass

to run a xenon 12 properly in a system, you will need an additional speaker that can really put down 40hz-100hz range in the front of your car.

this usually means a small sub-woofer that can fit in your door or a kick panel.

in most systems your normal front speakers can handle this duty because a normal sub woofer will still be producing notes much higher then ~60hz, so the fronts and the sub blend.

a xenon cuts of much earlier, and you get almost NO output after 50-60hz
since many songs have dormant bass lines higher then 60, you have a gap, because even though your fronts are still making that note, its not enough output to be considered the dominate bass line.

so that is where a smaller front sub comes in.

mids are usually smaller 5"-2" speakers for ~200hz - ~3000hz range
phoenixgold_icy

Post by phoenixgold_icy »

9m´s of pg :wink:
2 Xenon 1200.1
1 Xenon 200.2
2 ti elite 12d (old version) subs
1 set ti elite 9M kicks
1 set cdt es 62i
Wink

Post by Wink »

Bfowler wrote: a xenon cuts of much earlier, and you get almost NO output after 50-60hz
so does that mean that the Xenons only play lower than 60 nothing higher,?

And i already am running a component set do i still need to get another(better) woofer/mid/sub.
so if i were to get some smaller subs or mids would i wire them to the second amp thats powering the Xenons? then obviousl run a set of RCA's to the Hu. :roll:
or has anyone does this B4

thanks.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

According to the information I've gathered here, the Xenon doesn't play shit above 60Hz. Plays everything below pretty well.... but nothing above. That's not first hand information though, that's my recycling what others have said.

Just listen to your system without sub(s). Does it play down to 60Hz or so then? How much mid and mid bass is your system putting out sans-sub?

If your components play low enough (RSD65cs will, undoubtedly) then the Xenon sub will be fine... as long as you can balance the output of your component set to the output of your Xenons. That's to say, make sure the Xenons aren't going to blasting way over the rest of your system or it won't sound very nice, at least to my ears and my tastes in listening.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:According to the information I've gathered here, the Xenon doesn't play shit above 60Hz. Plays everything below pretty well.... but nothing above. That's not first hand information though, that's my recycling what others have said.

Just listen to your system without sub(s). Does it play down to 60Hz or so then? How much mid and mid bass is your system putting out sans-sub?

If your components play low enough (RSD65cs will, undoubtedly) then the Xenon sub will be fine... as long as you can balance the output of your component set to the output of your Xenons. That's to say, make sure the Xenons aren't going to blasting way over the rest of your system or it won't sound very nice, at least to my ears and my tastes in listening.

hes learning...
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

so to expand on what ryan said.....its even worse then that...

even if you have a good component set. (and you have one of the best mid bass sets out there right now) that play low, it still wont "bump" at 60hz like a sub would.

the problem with a xenon, is it doesn't "bump" at 60hz either. and this happens to be a range that many songs focus on.
so you miss out on output in that critical range.

i really love the lowend of the xenon...from 20-40 (it actually plays lower then 20 if you let it) it is amazing.

i really tried to make it work....but 3 enclosures later. after trying a pair of x10's, a single x12, and a single x10 firing the reverse direction.....i can tell you, with out a speaker in the front, dedicated to that missing range, you wont be as happy with your system as you could be.
Hontzo_MD

Re: Mids

Post by Hontzo_MD »

Wink wrote:aight guys the other day i asked about 12" xenon subs....and someone said he hopes i have good mids?

now..how does one buy mids, what to look for, and can i buy component sets with mids? and wheres a good place to buy em from?

and lastly do i need an external crossover or do i use my HU's...anyone understand my question... :roll: lol
Id be willing to bet that the person that said about "mids" meant good front speakers.(period) Get a strong component set(seperate woofer and tweeter) and set the gains accordinglly.
REALLY!?
"Im not even supposed to be here today!"-Dante Hicks