Capacitor Replacement

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Zarnov

Capacitor Replacement

Post by Zarnov »

OK...so being paranoid about leaking caps, I finally took a good look at the 2 MS275's I've purchased over the last couple months.

One looks as if the caps have been replaced already (3 nice Nichicon 16V, 5600uF reside on the board as per DrFosgate Spec)...the other is still sporting the factory 16V 2200uF caps, so I'll be replacing them prior to installing this one in my car for sure.

Is there any advantage to installing the highest capacitance I can make fit (I may use a custom amp rack, so the caps can be taller than stock)? Or should I just stick with the Nichicon 16V, 5600uF that the good Doctor recommends?

Also, should I be concerned about changing any other components while I'm in there?

Thanks in advance
Building a 1992 LS400 with period, old-skool gear

2 MS275 so far...searching for more MS Series
2 X-Max 10s...newly repaired and pounding
1 PLD66 (Thanks Bdubs)
Macrom 59.10 & 57.00 w/SAS x-overs
Premier FH-P800BT (Brang Spankin' New!!)
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

knowing doc, that probably IS the biggest you can fit.

but to answer your question, more input capacitance is always better. if you can fit a bigger one in, absolutely go for it.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Might as well stick with caps that let you keep your case on. The bottom keeps dust and crap from getting into your amp!

Powersupply input caps are the big damage hazard. The big rail caps last substantially longer, and the smaller ones littered across the board are less likely to fail, and less likely to cause damage.
Zarnov

Post by Zarnov »

Thanks Guys!!

Would you happen to know if the Sapphire series uses the same input caps? A buddy of mine has been running his 3.0x and a couple 1.0's since he got them back in 1997 (probably a good idea to replace his too) and I'm thinking I could order new caps for him at the same time I order mine.
Building a 1992 LS400 with period, old-skool gear

2 MS275 so far...searching for more MS Series
2 X-Max 10s...newly repaired and pounding
1 PLD66 (Thanks Bdubs)
Macrom 59.10 & 57.00 w/SAS x-overs
Premier FH-P800BT (Brang Spankin' New!!)