"To PG" "or not to PG" ??

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
bruther

Post by bruther »

So,
I need a amp to power my front set of 6.5 components. I'm need about 120w rms per channel. PG does not make any new amp that fits this bill. I don't want to buy used but I was thinking about purchasing a 600.2ti. Anyone have any thoughts before I look to a different amp company?
B
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

seems like a bit of an arbitrary number?

the 600.2 is the closest probably...but i really really like xenon 200.2's
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Anything from 75-200 watts will be just fine.
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

The ZX350 or TI400 are about 115 Watts RMS. I power my seperates with about 2 x100 watts and in my daily driver 2 x 65 watts (which I have actually lowered the gain down quite a bit, because the sub doesn't keep up) I have tried higher powers on them (200 watts and 350 watts) and its just unuseable power, and a recipe for me to go deaf.
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

dgoodhue wrote:The ZX350 or TI400 are about 115 Watts RMS. I power my seperates with about 2 x100 watts and in my daily driver 2 x 65 watts (which I have actually lowered the gain down quite a bit, because the sub doesn't keep up) I have tried higher powers on them (200 watts and 350 watts) and its just unuseable power, and a recipe for me to go deaf.
Is there any better a way to go deaf?
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

Bfowler wrote:seems like a bit of an arbitrary number?

the 600.2 is the closest probably...but i really really like xenon 200.2's
I'm with this guy^^
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

inmy work truck i bridge the rsd 500.4 to 4 ohm stereo, equals about 250-270by 2, but i do use external crossover, and bypass the rsd 500.4 internal xovers( im enjoying 24db/octave - and yes im going DEAF :)
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

That's NEVER the question........ :naughty:

It's WHICH PG amp to use.... :thumbs:

That said-
I have to ask how this is gonna be installed..... Are ya gonna show em'? Or are they goin stealth...? :hmm: What else is running... Another set of comp's and/or sub....? :hmm:
I'm not saying a full-blown build but not some ratsnest of twisted rca's and untrimed wires........... :roll:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
rolandk

Post by rolandk »

Ryval V1502 makes 150W per channel at 4Ω.
martinkruit

Post by martinkruit »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:"To PG" "or not to PG" ??

That's NEVER the question........ :naughty:

It's WHICH PG amp to use.... :thumbs:

That said-
I have to ask how this is gonna be installed..... Are ya gonna show em'? Or are they goin stealth...? :hmm: What else is running... Another set of comp's and/or sub....? :hmm:
I'm not saying a full-blown build but not some ratsnest of twisted rca's and untrimed wires........... :roll:
OK, but tell me, i'm really a PG addict, im using a M44 on my front set, peerless 10 cm and Vifa tweeter, passive crossover (big one)
it sounded great but now i installed a Genesis Dual mono extreme (2 x 400 watt)
And the difference is gigantic.

More width, more height (about 40 cm) more detail etc.

I hope to find a PG amp which can do the same butt :cry:
[img]http://phoenixphorum.com/files/phoenixg_970.gif[/img]

Mac 200
Ti 500.2 (Tube pre)
M25 )np cover)
M25, M44, M50, M100, EQ215 (chrome)
QX 2350 x 2
Bass Cube

KLW Image Enhance
KLW Kathedral
Soundstream Reference Class A 10.0
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You should try one of Nico's MS2125's... or better yet bridge his M1000 on your components :lol:
mmmadog

Post by mmmadog »

Iam with Martinkruit. I am an old school fan. Thought PG and PPI sounded killer but got a couple Linear Power amps and now Iam disapointed with the sound of PG and PPI. Wider soundstage and depth of the music is amazing with the LP amps. Of cource you cant beat the price of PPI and PG compared to LP or Genesis.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

The M44 is rated for nearly 1/4 of the power of that Genesis amp.

Did you output match the two amps or is the Genesis throwing twice or more power at your fronts than the M44 was?
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
martinkruit

Post by martinkruit »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:The M44 is rated for nearly 1/4 of the power of that Genesis amp.

Did you output match the two amps or is the Genesis throwing twice or more power at your fronts than the M44 was?
I kept the same gain on my woofers and turned the gain of the Genesis to match the woofers.

So it must be ok.

The genesis seems to have so much more control.

Buy the way, the European sound is more expressif than the US sound and i think this is what my system needed
[img]http://phoenixphorum.com/files/phoenixg_970.gif[/img]

Mac 200
Ti 500.2 (Tube pre)
M25 )np cover)
M25, M44, M50, M100, EQ215 (chrome)
QX 2350 x 2
Bass Cube

KLW Image Enhance
KLW Kathedral
Soundstream Reference Class A 10.0
bruther

Post by bruther »

Ok so I'm reading all the responses and so I need to throw a couple more details in....
I want to have a matching amp as I am using a RSD amp for the sub.......these amps will be shown so having them look the same is important or being the same brand at least. With that said....I would be willing to use another PG amp but I really want to buy new and not buy a used one. I am torn because I really like the PG 600.2 & 400.2 ti's but I can't seem to find one in excellent working and running condition. That is why I asked-"To PG" "or not to PG".....am I just better off going with another brand and if so which amp??? I have several other OS PG amps on the shelf but none that fits the bill.......thanks again for everyones response.

B
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You already have an RSD sub amp... why not an RSD highs amp?
bruther

Post by bruther »

Which RSD highs amp fits what I'm looking for? neither the 500.4 or the 250.2 fit my request??? ANy thoughts?
B
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I'd say the 500.4 leaves room to expand to another set of speaks. From what I read and heard, it should be enough power.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

The RSDs are very underrated. A 500.4 will do about 115x4. Or you can bridge it and give them a good 350 watts :)
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

to reiterate on what tom said...

the rsd amps are cea 2007 rated.

in previous ratings, manufacturers could play any frequency through the amp, and take a reading for power. they feed it more and more juice until they get to with the distortion thresh hold, and that's their power rating.

in 2007 ratings they were forced to play the full spectrum and then record the power. once ANY portion of the spectrum hit the thresh hold, they had to admit defeat and take the power rating.

we use the rule of thumb "3db takes double the power" so if you think about the additional notes the rsd amp is playing...its likly MUCH closer to the xenon amp then the manual would have you believe.

i say go for it. the rsd 500.4 is a very solid amp
bruther

Post by bruther »

Ok-
So if I only wanted to run 1 set of 6.5's off of the amp
1. how would I set it up
2. which amp would give me the best headroom.
3. I currently own the RSD300.4, how much power would this produce if set up by the recommendation?
What would be the power of the 500.4 and the 250.2?
Thanks
Brian
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

the 250.2 is 1/2 of the 500.4, so the channels are the same.

but you could bridge the 500.4

if you are running the 1 set of comps, the 300.4 bridged would be great! (even in 4 channel mode its potent enough in my opinion.)

just because rsd's can take TONs of power, doesnt mean you actually NEED tons of power for them

if you wanted to get a external crossover, you could even run the RSD's active off the 300.4 and really be in the butter zone
bruther

Post by bruther »

Ok- so the speakers I am running are DLS Iridium's 6.5's
I do not want to run anything active.
the 300.4 running just the one set doesn't seem to have enough power.
So if I were to use the 300.4 OR the 250.2 how much power am I getting out of each amp with the recommended set up from you guys? WHat is the power difference?
Does anyone know what amp the RSD250.2 compares to in the TI series?
Thanks
Brian
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

bruther wrote:I would be willing to use another PG amp but I really want to buy new and not buy a used one. I am torn because I really like the PG 600.2 & 400.2 ti's but I can't seem to find one in excellent working and running condition.
I would think you would be able to find a pair of those. I mean their the regular line of amps. I know some of the stuff is beat up on ebay, but I have found a lot of excellent condition PG amps on ebay. Most of the time I am looking for more difficult amps to find. I actually wouldn't mind find a TI400.2AL myself. You just need to be patient.
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
bruther

Post by bruther »

If I bridged the left side with the front channels and the right side with the rear channels, what is the power that I'm sending too each of them??
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit