WOW ..what a huge difference a line driver makes on a Xenon.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gentlejax2

WOW ..what a huge difference a line driver makes on a Xenon.

Post by gentlejax2 »

Just installed a Audiocontrol line driver to my 200.2 ....I wont need a sub now its rocking so much harder than without....

...all I can say is wow....

and that the Audiocontrol works better than the PG I used to have...also the Audiocontrol has led's so it tells me in increments what voltage its putting out....and even has one for MAX....

I am very pleased with the new output.....gains are all the way down on the Xenon also...
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

what is the model of the audiocontrol one you have? What PG line driver did you have before?
Kenwood Excelon x592
x200.4(in process of repair OMFG YES)
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
using zx350 until repair of x200.4
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Assuming you are gain matched, there should be no volume difference :?
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

yea thats true huh....
Kenwood Excelon x592
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Re: WOW ..what a huge difference a line driver makes on a Xe

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

gentlejax2 wrote:and that the Audiocontrol works better than the PG I used to have...also the Audiocontrol has led's so it tells me in increments what voltage its putting out....and even has one for MAX....
Indicator LEDs are all fine and well, but they don't replace measurements with a DMM.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

stipud wrote:Assuming you are gain matched, there should be no volume difference :?
Not if his HU puts out shit for voltage like mine.
Boomshackalacka
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Francious70 wrote:
stipud wrote:Assuming you are gain matched, there should be no volume difference :?
Not if his HU puts out shit for voltage like mine.
Gain range is 0.25v-8v. Unless your deck is putting out less than 0.25v, the amp should be able to reach full power. Granted it would sound shitty, but it shouldn't be louder...
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

oh yeah...

well....I have a older Clarion 9675z and until I put the line driver on it..I had the gains on the amp set to roughly 3/4 and it wasnt all that loud.

I have the gain on the amp at minimum..whatever that was...and the amp is putting out the power with more authority...

Now it may not be making more power but its doing whatever it is doing with more force and clean...

the LED's are labeled....2volt...4 volt..5 volt...7.5 volt..9 volt...or something like that....

as the gain is turned up the volts increase....till its putting out max...

I forget the model # but its the 2 channel model....

I had the 6 channel PG line driver with the gain pots under hood....just like everyone else on here has or has used...

This is much better....

whatever the case may be I am now getting my power out of the Xenon where before I was not getting it all...

..and again...its strong and clean and no noise
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You're not gain matched at all then :roll:

The amp, set to 3/4 gains with your lower preamp voltage was probably not producing as much power as it is now... and that's the difference you are hearing. Done properly, you would have no more power before or after, but a slightly lower noisefloor.

You would have no audible difference between the AC and TLD either, if you did this, and gain matched their outputs.

Do this:
http://phoenixphorum.com/gain-setting-w ... vt280.html
Last edited by stipud on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

so would you be selling the TLD-66? I am assuming that is what you have.

And that is crazy that one is better, my dad has the TLD-66 and it puts out 10 volts when we had a DMM hooked up to it. I am trying to get a TLD-66 but if it isn't as good as the audiocontrol one then I may just get that one you have. Pm me if you are selling it.
Kenwood Excelon x592
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

asdfasdf

Stipud do you think an audiocontrol line driver could actually be better than lets say a TLD-66 or even a SLD-44? I thought they all do the same thing....

edit

Now i am considering getting this one instead of a TLD-66... but if they all do the same I don't need to pay extra for a display of voltage and all that which i think is why the price is kinda high.

audiocontrol Matrix 6-channel line driver
Last edited by deathcloud on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kenwood Excelon x592
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

deathcloud wrote:Stipud do you think an audiocontrol line driver could actually be better than lets say a TLD-66 or even a SLD-44? I thought they all do the same thing....
Amps all do the same thing too, but as you know well there are variations of quality and power. It comes down to how much clean gain can your LD produce. If the TLD max output isn't enough for you, look elsewhere. If it is, it should produce the same results as another quality LD such as the AudioControl (assuming they put out the same voltage).
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

ok...let me clarify..what I mean by better.....

for the sake of adjustment the Audiocontrol is better....the gain adjust is on top and I can see the actual progression of voltage or at least what they consider the progression....it may not be 100% acurate but its something.....

with the PG line driver ..you had to remove the cover and mess with the littel pots....

the one I HAD made some hellacious noise issue when I tried to adjust it sometimes...made it hard to mess with.....

I didnt do a A/B test with both line drivers...I sold the other PG line driver long time ago

this Audiocontrol also has balanced inputs / outputs .....

they might not sound any different but for the person who isnt going to pull out a dmm and some test tones then this is better to use....

that is what I meant by better....

I dont have the PG line driver any more..... I had a 6 channel with the gray cover...tantrum series I think.
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

Don't xenons need a high (over 8) input voltage to reach max power? If thats the case then it should make a difference.
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

couldnt a line driver , "appear to make it sound louder", b/c its sending a CLEANER signal? Kinda like subs , sometimes tend to sound better/more output, b/c all the RATTLES got deaden?
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

from what errin's said the xenon are weird and need a shit ton of voltage to run power.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

Well maybe i will save for the audiocontrol 6 channel line driver. Since PG doesn't make any of them anymore. Wish they did :(
Kenwood Excelon x592
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

thedeal7235 wrote:couldnt a line driver , "appear to make it sound louder", b/c its sending a CLEANER signal? Kinda like subs , sometimes tend to sound better/more output, b/c all the RATTLES got deaden?
The gain section of the amp does the exact same thing as a linedriver, all it does is up your pre-amp voltage. The linedriver may have a different op-amp than the gain section of the amp. Because of this, it may reinforce certain frequencies better than a crappy chip. I don't think this is a real issue with PG amps however.

Though, even with different chips, a 60Hz tone played and gain matched through both of them will be equally loud either way. :)
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

obviosly the gain was wrong but quite frankly I was already way past the point I normally like to go....

I prefer having the signal voltage upped before and leaving the gains on the amp all the way down....

I am guessing the voltage out on this deck is weaker than the advertised 4 volts...

not a problem now.....
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

gentlejax2 wrote:I am guessing the voltage out on this deck is weaker than the advertised 4 volts...
Guarantee it. You're probably lucky to get 1 volt out of that thing, which is what I measure out of typical "4 volt" headunits. The RCA ratings seem to be no different than the "55x4" ratings for the speakers (they mean 10x4).

God I love it when people say "why would I install a 75 watt amp when my Sony deck does 60 watts already!?". :lol: :lol: :lol:
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

So does that mean my kenwood excelon x592 isn't going to put out 4 volts from the deck? I was hoping it would...
Kenwood Excelon x592
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

isn't going to put out 4 volts . I know only H/U decks.
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

mikelycka wrote:isn't going to put out 4 volts . I know only H/U decks.

what? ...I know only H/U decks....

what are you trying to say...?

but yeah..that Kenwood isnt one of the high end ones so its not going to do the 4volts...plus if it ever did 4 volts its would be max and not constant...

you want real head unit volts then get an Eclipse 8 volt deck.....or get a line driver...best $50 I ever spent..
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nope, sorry. :lol:

But you have linedrivers anyways, so no worries ;)

If 4 volt headunit put out a realistic 1 volt, imagine what your typical 2 volt headunit does. :shock:

Either way, higher voltage is going to be better, it's just not going to be accurate.
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

stipud wrote: If 4 volt headunit put out a realistic 1 volt, imagine what your typical 2 volt headunit does. :shock:

Either way, higher voltage is going to be better, it's just not going to be accurate.
I am not picking up what you are putting down... unless you are saying if my deck that is 4 volts actually does 1 volt (which is shitty it could at least do 2 volts) and a 2 volt deck does like .275 or something just so small YOU HAVE to have a line driver for some amps...

Yes I do have a line driver, 2 in fact, I may just have the front rear from the SLD-44 for my x200.4 and have the PLD-1 in the back for my xenon sub. Point is I didn't want my Line drivers to work that hard to get my voltage up so I wanted my deck to have a pretty high voltage so that I wouldn't have to be cranking the line driver almost full to get desired voltage.
Kenwood Excelon x592
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124