>> SSA Dcon prototypes

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
denim

>> SSA Dcon prototypes

Post by denim »

Since the response was positive from the last prototype I posted up on the Phorum, I thought I would post up the next ones. :)

The SSA Dcon will be our up coming mid-level line. We had intended to hold on the 10" & 12" versions until the 8" was ready, but with the 8" version getting close, it was time to begin testing on the larger sizes. The goal of the SSA Dcon is to keep the same high level of clarity the Icon has achieved, but scaled down a little. Almost like a mini-Icon if you will (maybe change the name to mIcon ;) ).

Specs and pricing will come later once everything is ironed out and ready to go for production. A goal of 300 watt rms, and more affordable price tag then the Icon. Starting out with a 2" / 4 layer / copper dual 4 ohm coils, and shooting for 15-18mm of xmax, and if all goes well with this version we hope to have them ready for production fairly soon to give a few hints. Pricing is not set as we have not finished testing.

Mark (other half of SSA) is testing a pair of 10" prototypes, and a 12" prototype is on the way to me now. Being in Arizona, Mark is much closer to the build house, so here are some pictures Mark shot of the 10" models. I will add 12" prototype pictures later.

denim

Post by denim »

Here is a few comparison pics next to an ICON 10"

bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

those look rather interesting. Do you distribute this side of the pond, too?

Bret
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Looks really beefy, are these daily driver suitable subs or are they aimed directly at competitors and bass heads?

Edit: Durrrrr I was looking at the Icon.
Last edited by fuzzysnuggleduck on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

300w RMS with a magnet like that? Jesus christ. I think my RSD comp's magnet is about 1/3rd the size :lol:

I definitely need to get my hands on one of those, it would be absolutely perfect for my install. Let me know when you've got a 10 or 12 D2 I can buy :)
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Me too......Me too..........
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

stipud wrote:300w RMS with a magnet like that?
I was thinking the same thing..
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

Finally. Someone making a sub that can be run of a reasonably sized class ab amp without having to stuff 1000+ rms into it from a d class. :D
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
GX3

Post by GX3 »

Ok i must have been living under a rock ...... I havent heard of this sub before. Can you fill me in on this. It looks well made and i have been looking for a new sub to try out. MADE IN USA (or Canada)???? not China i hope
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

GX3 wrote:Ok i must have been living under a rock ...... I havent heard of this sub before. Can you fill me in on this. It looks well made and i have been looking for a new sub to try out. MADE IN USA (or Canada)???? not China i hope
They are USA made, apparently sound phenomenal, and denim is a cool guy! 8)

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/icon/
denim

Post by denim »

bretti_kivi wrote:those look rather interesting. Do you distribute this side of the pond, too?

Bret
At the moment, we are nearly 100% direct, and do ship international. We have been working very hard to get a distributor on the other side of the Atlantic, but have not had any luck with one following through. Some just seem to drop off the face of the earth. :(
denim

Post by denim »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:Looks really beefy, are these daily driver suitable subs or are they aimed directly at competitors and bass heads?

Edit: Durrrrr I was looking at the Icon.
All our drivers are sound quality biased and focused drivers. Strong output is a bi-product of the design. But we are not really worried about SPL competitors. A number of bassracers have shown interest, and a few have done builds, which our drivers suit just fine in part due to healthy xmax and lower Fs.
denim

Post by denim »

stipud wrote:300w RMS with a magnet like that? Jesus christ. I think my RSD comp's magnet is about 1/3rd the size :lol:

I definitely need to get my hands on one of those, it would be absolutely perfect for my install. Let me know when you've got a 10 or 12 D2 I can buy :)
At the moment, we are starting out with just D4's. But if you are interested, I can talk to the build house on a wink wink :wink: :wink: special.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

denim wrote:At the moment, we are starting out with just D4's. But if you are interested, I can talk to the build house on a wink wink :wink: :wink: special.
Well, I'm not a millionaire, and I have the patience of a saint... so if one is coming eventually, I can wait. But if it's not ridiculous $ to have a 2 ohm built, then I'd love to give it a spin!
denim

Post by denim »

Mackenzie wrote:
stipud wrote:300w RMS with a magnet like that?
I was thinking the same thing..
Due to our size and the falling ratio of watts per dollar, we have taken the safe approach of over build and under rate. We could have gone with a single, large diameter slug (like we did with the Xcon model line), but cost wise it is more expensive.

I would much rather have 3 customers buy the driver and have no issues and be happy, then have 9 customers buy the driver and 6 push it past the thermal or mechanical limits and have those drivers come back for re-cone.

The smaller volume & happy customer base direction is better for us then the high volume & some happy some not customer base direction. It is difficult because people want to compare us to much larger and older companies, but if we were just about making money, we would not be building here in the USA, and using the parts we use. It is hard to get that across to people when they can buy a driver built over seas with high wattage ratting for the same price.
denim

Post by denim »

stipud wrote:
GX3 wrote:Ok i must have been living under a rock ...... I havent heard of this sub before. Can you fill me in on this. It looks well made and i have been looking for a new sub to try out. MADE IN USA (or Canada)???? not China i hope
They are USA made, apparently sound phenomenal, and denim is a cool guy! 8)

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/icon/
Thank you stipud. But no worries, you have not been under a rock. We are very small in terms of speaker companies. And this is more of a hobby that is in the shape of a business, since we both work full time. (hope that makes sense).

Even though this is a largely PG focused site, the Phorum crew has been very gracious in allowing me to post up what we are working on. Which I am very grateful for. Not to mention, we pose zero threat to PG as it is, plus none of our products really line up with the PG offerings.
denim

Post by denim »

andy600rr wrote:Finally. Someone making a sub that can be run of a reasonably sized class ab amp without having to stuff 1000+ rms into it from a d class. :D
That is part of the reason for this driver, to offer a sub woofer of the same caliber in sound as the Icon, but more wallet friendly, and amplifier friendly. 8)
denim

Post by denim »

stipud wrote:
denim wrote:At the moment, we are starting out with just D4's. But if you are interested, I can talk to the build house on a wink wink :wink: :wink: special.
Well, I'm not a millionaire, and I have the patience of a saint... so if one is coming eventually, I can wait. But if it's not ridiculous $ to have a 2 ohm built, then I'd love to give it a spin!
If you remind me once we have hit production with this model, I will call the build house. As we have done a few custom drivers in the past, it should not be too big a deal. Only difference is time to build.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

denim wrote:If you remind me once we have hit production with this model, I will call the build house. As we have done a few custom drivers in the past, it should not be too big a deal. Only difference is time to build.
Awesome. Will do! :D
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Nice Denim!! I know your still in the testing stage but do you have any specs, such as driver depth and a preferred sealed box size? I have a certain Exile sub in the FJ right now that I'm looking to replace. :wink:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

cool Aaron........did you ever make a decision on the Xenon? I dont get to SSA much sorry...
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
denim

Post by denim »

mr tibbs wrote:Nice Denim!! I know your still in the testing stage but do you have any specs, such as driver depth and a preferred sealed box size? I have a certain Exile sub in the FJ right now that I'm looking to replace. :wink:
I will have to get back to you on box sizing, as I want to really dial in our recommendations. But a rough idea will put the 10" around the .75 - 1.0 cubes sealed area, and the 12" in the 1.1-1.5 cubes sealed area. Keep in mind those are just early estimates and can change, and smaller sizes with polyfill can work also.

It took me a while to get the Icon dialed in, which lead us to show it prefers larger then average.

As for the Dcon, the model the topic is about, the mounting depth for the Dcon:

10" model - 6" depth
12" model - 6.5" depth.

The Dcon will be nearly identical in depth to the Icon. I do not have mounting depth on the 8" Dcon as the basket upgrades are not done yet, so it will be a tiny bit taller then the prototype I currently have.
denim

Post by denim »

gentlejax2 wrote:cool Aaron........did you ever make a decision on the Xenon? I dont get to SSA much sorry...
Sorry, no not yet. Still reeling from the $$$ brake job on my car. :(
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

no problem Aaron......
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo