how low will a Ti6 play?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gentlejax2

how low will a Ti6 play?

Post by gentlejax2 »

I have some MB quarts running as woofers in the car now...just wondered if the Ti6 would be a waste if used in its place...

I have read they lack...but I also read they need power which I got around 200 per so......

right now I have a 3way setup with the MQ quarts running the woofer duties..of course crossed around 70 .....

yeah or nay?
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

it depends, to me, cuz ive been playing around ALOT with them, ive used external xover, to bypass the amp's internal xover, ive used the internal; tried them at 150, 75, , even 200 watts, and i think the more power u get to them , the better they sound, but it also seems to depend on the amp-
if u look @ pg specs, they originally show the ti comps with a ti 500.4(75 by 4 @ 4ohms, using their passive xover)-they sound good this way, and active even better, i think, its just the 75 watts, on a ti amp, seems to distort around 60 percent volume, for me. but, when i hooked them up to my old zx450, the 6.5mids wont distort untill my volume reaches about 7/8 volume, im using an old skool sony cdx c90, and a line driver. ive come to the conclusion, that 2 me, the ti tweets sound best off the ti 600.2(150 by 2@ 4ohms external active-the ti 600.2, does not have a multiplier switch to use the tweets this way-so its passive, or external active; meanwhile the 6.5, to me, sound best of the zx450, and, i have them wired to that amp for the amp to read 150 by2 @ 2ohms using that amps internal xover for them getting bandpass at 70-80hz-NO PROBLEM-, all of this is my experience with them and my listening opinion- i luv they way they sound internally active(tweets and mids) off the ti 500.4, but the ti 500.4 just doesnt seem to give me enuff power, im 39, and am sure I have damage to my ears, as well- all my opinion, and the ti 6.5, per my understanding, were originally made by morel for pg, so u cant go wrong
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

going to run them off a Xenon 200.2 if I keep them...
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

why not try them; i have thrown some rsd 6.5s in b4 to hear the difference-the rsd, i think has alittle more snap, but the ti doesnt sound bad at all! and the tis are what i keep in, but the first set of 6.5s i had, the rubber surround literally came unglued; and there wasnt enuff rubber cement to ever make'em good again- but this set, no issues for last 6 months-
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: how low will a Ti6 play?

Post by Bfowler »

gentlejax2 wrote:I have some MB quarts running as woofers in the car now...just wondered if the Ti6 would be a waste if used in its place...

I have read they lack...but I also read they need power which I got around 200 per so......

right now I have a 3way setup with the MQ quarts running the woofer duties..of course crossed around 70 .....

yeah or nay?
they will play competently down to about 40hz. i wouldnt crank them too much if your going that low though, i ran them for a long time with no lp at all.

as i have recently learned feeding them 200 watts and not using any lp will produce some HEAT. my neo magnets are pretty much shot. i pounted on them for a bout 3 years
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I keep my Elites crossed at 100Hz... they don't have much midbass when played open air. They are quite respectable though in sealed enclosures.

Either way, they are bassier than any Quarts I have heard.
FG

Post by FG »

As this is the Phoenix Phorum, here's what matters:

Any of the vintage PG amps will run ANY woofer down low so long as it is mounted in a door properly, with a secure baffle playing into the dor, back/front wave separation, and door deadening.

Right now I have the front two channels of an MS1000 playing my Morel Elate 6" 3 way set passive....and the 6.5" is crossed at 50 hz @ 18db with a subpar setup, and it handles it all day long.

There's a distinctive woofer distortion sound, and I rarely if ever get that unless I misbehave.

Good amp + good door install is what counts. Woofer is gravy.