Who hear has HEARD them? Hybrid-audio

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
smgreen20

Who hear has HEARD them? Hybrid-audio

Post by smgreen20 »

As it says, who has HEARD their speakers, not heard OF THEM, but actually heard them? http://hybrid-audio.com/

How many of you know Scott Buwalda? I guess he's the founder of the company. I've been talking to him directly about their L61-2pro set. It's a 7" mid and a 1" tweet.

I ask because I've had thoughts about using something different for mids/highs if this pod doesn't help for the sound I'm after. I'd be replacing the PG Elite6 set that I will keep just to have or for back up.

One of the guys at the local stereo shop bought a set, but it will be a while before he has them installed. He's entering in the MECA SQ show in Louisville, KY. I'm going to try and go w/him. Any of you guys going?
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
ssims

Post by ssims »

i have heard of the guy former iiasca member but i never heard the speakers keep us informed
been collecting equipment since the late 80's and on the 4th of jan 2009 my garage was broken into and all i have left is a 1 4x6 speaker out of my work truck not a good way to start off the new year

so back to buying more toys
marko

Post by marko »

loads of people over on talkaudio run them, might be worth asking on there...
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
lashlee

Post by lashlee »

I've looked into using them for the next season and listened to a few cars at MECA finals this year. I listened to Dave Edwards' camry and Dave Brooks' F250. They both sounded good, though the tweeters sounded very quiet and a little shy for my tastes. I will admit that both that I heard were very quiet, there were cars around that were being judged. I recently listened to a few other cars that showed a little more detail than the mids could offer, but it was in different settings.

I spoke with a close friend about them before I began investigating them and he installed an L4 in the factory spot in the dash of an xB and was very impressed. Andy Jones told me once that the FR of the raw driver was very flat.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

marko wrote:loads of people over on talkaudio run them, might be worth asking on there...
I found you on one of them forums just yesterday and called out to you... POLO! Real engenius of me I know. Like you've never had anyone say POLO to your Marko.

It was Scott B.s international bulletin board about best amps.

As soonas I get to hear Andy's car w/those speakers in it, I'll let you know.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
lashlee

Post by lashlee »

I'm not sure that Andy is running more hybrid stuff anymore. His car has gone through many changes over the last two seasons so make sure you know what you are hearing!!!
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

lashlee wrote:I've looked into using them for the next season and listened to a few cars at MECA finals this year.
I didn't know you were going! Competition is rarely mentioned around here. I didn't even think to ask if anyone here went. I didn't get to go this year due to finances. :cry:

Did you get a chance to hear Tom Shaw's red Acura Integra? He was the only one of our crew that went this year.
Greg Kitching
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

lashlee wrote:I'm not sure that Andy is running more hybrid stuff anymore. His car has gone through many changes over the last two seasons so make sure you know what you are hearing!!!
I think we're talking about two different Andys. The one I know is @25 yrs old. He just showed me his speakers Saturday.

Install:
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

... the legatias have good results, but... DIYMA just got a new forum Boner from CSS (the Trio8s) and the hybrids ain't cheap.

The L1pros are supposed to be rather good, too, as are the clarus sets, but TBH I'd personally rather go for a real DIY setup.

Bret
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

The L61-2 set retails $779.00 according to Scott B. Yea not cheap, but not out of reason.

Install:
lashlee

Post by lashlee »

gkitching wrote:
lashlee wrote:I've looked into using them for the next season and listened to a few cars at MECA finals this year.
I didn't know you were going! Competition is rarely mentioned around here. I didn't even think to ask if anyone here went. I didn't get to go this year due to finances. :cry:

Did you get a chance to hear Tom Shaw's red Acura Integra? He was the only one of our crew that went this year.
Greg,

I saw his car and the vinyl work is awesome. He kept it shut up most of the time, granted I didn't get there until sunday. It did look interesting though.

There must be a couple of Andy's then!! :lol: Andy Jones competes in MECA, IASCA and USAC and used to run Hybrid stuff.

The pricing is fairly reasonable, and I know that the clarus stuff reviewed reall well.
weng

Post by weng »

I got my L3 from Scott when it was launched at special price (plus his signature too :D). It was easy to drive and is able to get low (considering it is just a tiny 3"). I found it very accurate and gives out great details of the recording. And plays instruments better than my then Morel CDM54. But I haven't heard of their other drivers though.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

weng wrote:I got my L3 from Scott when it was launched at special price (plus his signature too :D). It was easy to drive and is able to get low (considering it is just a tiny 3"). I found it very accurate and gives out great details of the recording. And plays instruments better than my then Morel CDM54. But I haven't heard of their other drivers though.
Thank you. That's what I want to hear.

When the money allows I think I'll be buying a set.

Install: