who here does fiberglass boxes????HELP!please

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

i havent seen one go up in flames, but i have seen them start smokeing a few times. ive shown up to work an seen black marks on the walls by the hot batch and had to sit threw lectures from upper management.(i used to build boats for a liveing) just trying to give the guy a heads up that it will get hot if you let it kick off in the bucket ...and can, not will start a fire :wink:
dry with match
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I too have had people try to start a fire with it by mixing it extra hot and while it smoked like heck it didn't even melt the plastic. Last summer while glassing a project it did start to smoke on me a little. I just threw a fan on it and kept an eye on it but it was fine. It is hard to keep it from smoking a little when it is a 110 out.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

gkitching wrote: One tip I could add would be to tape off the FRONT. All the way around the crack. That way no resin will seep out while repairing from the inside. Once the resin is hardened, remove the tape and the gap should be filled perfectly with little bondo'ing or surfacing required afterward.
Tape wax paper to the outside of a crack. A friend of mine used to repair the hoods on the city trucks and he said to use wax paper on all outside surfaces. It'll help w/smoothing later. It'll keep sanding to a minimum.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

The idea is to keep any resin from seeping out of the cracks. Using wax paper may make the finish smoother but in all likelihood will allow resign out of the crack and then it doesn't matter if it's smooth or not. You'll be sanding. And it's 2 million times easier to sand bondo then it is to sand FG resin. There's no way to get it perfect without some surfacing and sanding. Plan for it. The key is to make it as minimal as possible.

During my fiberglass trainings I've purposely had installers add too much resin to see first hand what happens when you do. Yes, it will get very hot. Even melt carpet if your cup is sat down on it. But I've never witnessed it catching fire. The biggest problem with mixing too much MEKP is the shrinkage. The resign will crack and splinter when mixed too hot and ruin a days worth of work. The shrinkage will also 'pull' your work out of shape as well. It can and will bend and warp 3/4" mdf.

The smoke generated from making a hot batch is EXTREMELY toxic. Way worse then the normal fumes alone. No project is worth the permanent damage that shit can cause!
Greg Kitching
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Sorry, let me elaborate.

Use 2" wide masking tape and cut a 1/2" wide piece of the wax paper and place it dead center the tape the whole length. You'll, of course, have to tear the tape at certain points to make the bends.

I guess one couldn't see what I ment w/o me explaining it. My bad. :oops:

My friend Ronnie had worked for the city using this method for 14 years. I still might be missing a few things. ??
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

almost done one more day just I have to wait for the wife to go to work!!!! anyway everything is going !00% thanks again
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport