ITS ALIVE!

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

ITS ALIVE!

Post by ttocs »

well half alive but after 7 yrs in my closet my octane was powered up this afternoon. I only had the sub hooked up(diamond audio D6 10D4) for a 2 ohm mono load as I wanted to test out the box I built. I integrated an enclosure into the center consol and was concerned that with a little less then 1/2 a cu foot that I would lack bottom end. I was plesantly suprised that it sounded better then any single 10" sub I had done before, and I have done more then a few after installing for so long. I am going to see if I have enough wire to do the front componants (diamond hex 5.25s componants) tomorrow and hopefully hook them up. I can't wait to see what it all sounds like together as the stock speakers running off of deck power are horrible now.

Now the bad points -
1.) The amp whistles? Sounds like a power supply, real high pitch sound that will change pitches and occasionally go away when I push on the cover. When the amp warmed up it seemed to be almost totally gone, hope this is not something serious?
2.) I LOST THE TUNER KNOB OF THE BASSCUBE LAST NIGHT!!! I quit working yesterday when I realized that where I had it mounted would not work as it was bumping the dist block. I brought the part of my consol that I had the holes in that I needed to fill inside with me and I am not sure what happened to it. I am not talking about the little black piece of plastic but the actual electronics portion that the telephone cable plugged into.... I did how ever find the stickers for the RMD's led's that I had been looking for. its strange as I found it in the exact place I thought I had left them, and checked 3 times...

I got some pics that I will try and post later. Now that it is almost wired I just have to cover it up and make it look perty.....
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

what amp are you running?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

LE octane

I have dug all over my house and can't figure out what happend to the bass knob. Anyone got an extra?
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Jason might have some extra remotes:
http://phoenixphorum.com/bass-cube-remo ... be+remotes

As far as the high pitched whine, the Ti Series amps seem to have this issue from time to time...my 900.7 had this issue a while back. Cecil told me that if I used some sort of Epoxy around the .....power supply? or transformer...(I dont remember..so don't quote me on this...) that it could/would fix the problem.

maybe others could chip in to verify/help.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have been installing for a while and never heard an amp do this before. It is the first time it has been powered up in 7 yrs and seemed to go away after it warmed up so maybe it will go away after breaking in. It was strange the way it would change when I lightly pushed on the cover.

Now I need to find an excuse to go drive it again today, back to the grocery store perhaps.

Still no base cube remote.......... I am afraid that I did something stupid like put it on the bed cover and forgot about it...
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

ttocs wrote:I have been installing for a while and never heard an amp do this before. It is the first time it has been powered up in 7 yrs and seemed to go away after it warmed up so maybe it will go away after breaking in. It was strange the way it would change when I lightly pushed on the cover.

Now I need to find an excuse to go drive it again today, back to the grocery store perhaps.

Still no base cube remote.......... I am afraid that I did something stupid like put it on the bed cover and forgot about it...
on the bench, I noticed the one i have do the same, but once warm, goes right away, the whistle-high-pitched sound, I have often wondered about the wired in farad caps; that seems to be the only difference internally, along with the built in bass cube, but wakeup says he noticed it on his as well, once warm it goes away-hope ur does the same-
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

interesting...... I did a number of Ti amps back in the day and never had it before so I would wonder if it would be the caps as well.

It has only been on for 25 mins in the last 7 yrs so it might take a little while to warm up and break in.
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

ttocs wrote:interesting...... I did a number of Ti amps back in the day and never had it before so I would wonder if it would be the caps as well.

It has only been on for 25 mins in the last 7 yrs so it might take a little while to warm up and break in.
yeah i have 5 different ti amp/zxti amps, and never heard it till the le octane, but as i said, goes right away once warmed up- i let mine play for 4hours in the house, turned it off, turned it back on, no sound, let it sit for a day, 24hrs later turned it on, then it was back till warm again-taken the cover off, looked inside, no issues, although the ribbon conductor going from the left amp to the right side is VERY< VERY long, and goes underneath the board, and sometimes wondered as well if that was p/up , making the noise???????????????????
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

Those diamond hex's are super nice. Let us know what you think when you are done. You should be very pleased.
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Yes it's probably the power supply transformers. You can run it with the cover off and press against them to see if the sound goes away. If so, just a bit of epoxy between the wires and the iron core should fix it.
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

stipud wrote:Yes it's probably the power supply transformers. You can run it with the cover off and press against them to see if the sound goes away. If so, just a bit of epoxy between the wires and the iron core should fix it.
-ill try it-thanx, or it may sale, we'll see-(good to know-though)
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

stipud wrote:Yes it's probably the power supply transformers. You can run it with the cover off and press against them to see if the sound goes away. If so, just a bit of epoxy between the wires and the iron core should fix it.
Yes Thats what Cecil said! (pretty much! )

And as stated mine did the same/similar thing...could put pressure on the cover and it would stop whining....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

waynehead wrote:Those diamond hex's are super nice. Let us know what you think when you are done. You should be very pleased.
This is the 2nd set that I own, I have the 3 ways in my mustang. I first heard them over 10 yrs ago when I was working at the shop that sold PG. We had ID at the time and of course didn't think anything could ever be better until our rep came in and told us to give them a try. I will never forget the amazement I hadsitting on a cyclone box doing an A - B comparison versus some NICE ID componants, they killed them. I to this day clearly remember staring at the scotch tape that held the tweeters up thinking that there was no way they could sound that good, and look as bad as they did with the "throw them up there" install job we did..... it certainly wasn't love at first site....

This is the first time I have used one of their subs, and unless something goes wrong with it my first impression was suprise. As I said the enclosure was small at a little under .5 cu ft before displacement but you wouldn't know it. I am SUPER happy to say this sounds better then any single 10 system I built before.

Today I wired the relay for the temperature monitoring thermistors. One is mounted to the fin on the heatsink on the subwoofers side and the other I was able to poke through a large grommet right under the amp. I wired the relay so that the temp display will normally show the amp temp, and put a momentary push button next to the display so that when I push it the relay will switch to the external thermistor and show outside temp for as long as I hold the botton. I also got to work mounting my RMD sticker as I didn't want to loose it again. I was able to put it on the overhead consol just infront of the temp display. I can't wait to put it in tomorrow and I will be sure to take pics as it should be a cool little amp monitoring center.

Did a little more driving and tuning today and it was strange as the noise would come and go but was almost gone when it did finally warm up. Hopefully when I get the front speakers hooked up and get to crank on it for a little while it will settle in.
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Just to give you a bit more on mine....

when first symptoms started same as you....when it seemed to warm up....It would go away...and then it started to stay longer and longer....then sometimes when I went over a bump...it'd go away....or vice versa...no whine..but hit a bump and boom it was back...etc...

So.....just a heads up.