need amp fixed ...cause im an idiot

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
wash with gasoline

need amp fixed ...cause im an idiot

Post by wash with gasoline »

hey all. i had the deal sealed to sell my lanzar amps to sdsport. i was just double checking to make sure they all still worked, got threw the 50 an 100 just fine. then i decided it would be a good idea to wire up the amp turn on lead an left speaker lead wrong on the 500 and let a little smoke out... :evil: he still wants them but asked me to post an see if anyone here had any suggestions on who to send it to for repair... id go pound a few beers and try an improve my mood, but i have to drive an hour to meet him :cry: il post pics in a min, dosnt look that bad.
dry with match
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Ouches...sorry to hear that...ya I'd suggest checking Dr.Fosgate.....if he's not too busy....or maybe Cecil...(but I think his plate is usually full....)
wash with gasoline

Image Image Image well i dont feel as dumb as i originally did, well still dumb but not as angry at myself. i zoomed in on the original pix i took an the damage was there already. to my untrained eye it dosnt look to be that bad, hope its a cheap fix. would the way i wired(and i use the term loosly) cause any damage to the amp? where i put +12 for the turn on lead is chasis ground and the speaker lead to turn on input? i was thinking about it on the drive an i dont think it would harm the amp, would blow the fuse on the +12 supply ...had the gilligans island theme song going threw my head on the way home, we both hit major traffic snags.
dry with match
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

That really should not have hurt anything, well except for the remote circuit in the head unit. The remote input that you inadvertently hooked a speaker wire to should be ~0V when the remote is not supplying power. In reality you can sometimes find a few volts on the remote lead, but should not be anything there high enough to do harm. Depending on the configuration of the amp, you might have possibly supplied a few stray volts from the remote terminal to the output transistors. It should come no where near close to enough voltage or current to harm anything, but stranger things have happened...

Does the amp still work? It is possible that there was a previous repair and the tech involved just did not do any cleanup work?

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
wash with gasoline

no, it does not power on. in the 2nd pic down you can see where im pointing a torx driver at a mosfet? dont know what they are called the thingy :lol: that is on the heatsink has one of its 6 pins broken off.thinking about it in retrospect i didnt cause the damage hooking it up the way i did , i was more curious if it could cause damage. looks to me like 2 of the "thingys" need replaced, or all 8 if they should be a matching set. i didnt see any other obvious damage ...but im clueless on amp repair
dry with match
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Yeah, I saw the damage, but I have seen repaired amps that looked like that too. Someone just removes the burnt components and replaces them, and doesn't clean up...

Anyhow, w/o a full picture showing the whole amp, I cannot be certain, but I believe those are the power supply mosfets. If one is bad, then they all need changed. 99% of the time they will all be bad, 1% some are still good, but have been so stressed that they could go at any moment, and will take out the replacements as well. Better to do them all. Their gate resistors will almost certainly be gone, and possibly the gate drivers. None of the parts are expensive, but it will take a tech some time.

The bad news is that they rarely go for no reason. Typically a shorted output transistor is the cause, but it could be from running the amp into a very low impedance load, as well as possibly from running it w/ to low of a supply voltage, or undersized power wire.

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

8)
Last edited by dBincognito on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

here on you tube show how to fix them there are 9 differnt vids but this is the first one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lPLywtrhsU
if you type in soundstream amp repair on you tube its the first that will come up
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Jim Truett

Post by Jim Truett »

Where are you located?
wash with gasoline

we are both in ca. sdsport92064 now has the amps. thanks for the replys, here is some full pics Image Image
dry with match
Jim Truett

Post by Jim Truett »

Well, if sdsport92064 lives in Poway, like the name suggests, I live about 10 minutes away, and could look at the amp to diagnose the repair.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

JIM! good to see you pop up! quit being such a stranger!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Bfowler wrote:JIM! good to see you pop up! quit being such a stranger!
What are you talking about, he's been posting more than you this month :lol:
sdsport92064

Post by sdsport92064 »

Whoa! Seriously? Yes, I do live in Poway. Let me know your number or here's mine.

Wow!!!

George
858 232-1664
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

stipud wrote:
Bfowler wrote:JIM! good to see you pop up! quit being such a stranger!
What are you talking about, he's been posting more than you this month :lol:
im gonna have to disagree their dontcha know. he posted 14 times this month to my 61

but thats not important :wink: its good to see our resident amp fix guru around more!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
sdsport92064

Post by sdsport92064 »

If the resident amp guru lives near me, then this phorum was completely worth the price of admission.

Maybe more even!!!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

sdsport92064 wrote:If the resident amp guru lives near me, then this phorum was completely worth the price of admission.

Maybe more even!!!
We're still waiting for that $20,000 cheque... 8)
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
sdsport92064

Post by sdsport92064 »

Sorry, I blew it on some Opti amps. I had to save some for repairs.

Next time, I swear!
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

hehe...what a small world! :)
wash with gasoline

smaller everyday, glad to here someone is close by that is good with amps :D
dry with match
sdsport92064

Post by sdsport92064 »

Ninja update: All 3 amps are in Jim's possession awaiting testing and parts. I'm waiting on 2 more for-certain and 1 possible amp also coming in that will probably funnel directly onto his dining room table for more tech-wizardry.

Hey Phoenixphorum, thank you very much for connecting completely random events together. I'll try to get pics if this ever actually materializes from a bunch of crap in my garage to a period-correct, 1993 system for the car.
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

nice! Glad everything is panning out! And again welcome...don't be a stranger! and invite your friends! :) hehe
sdsport92064

Post by sdsport92064 »

My "friends" think my Sony 910 is the dumbest looking deck they've ever seen. They can't understand why it has a copper chassis and no iPod inputs or Navi.

My "friends" can't understand why I'd want a separate amp for each set of speakers, and think I've gone off the deep end in my new pursuit to see if I can get a separate amp for each speaker itself. I only have 6 speakers it's the rarity of the amps that is prohibitive.

My "friends" think my ID horns, being as big as blow-off valves, probably won't fit in my car. They're actually probably right on this one.

Eh. Stupid friends. Even stupider hobby though. Stupidest? Me! Because they're my friends and worse, my hobby!

Should have gotten into dealing crack when I had the opportunity.
Jim Truett

Post by Jim Truett »

Current death toll in the 500:

16x IRFz40 MOSFETS
3x 2N4403 PNP transistors
1x 1k okm 1/4 watt resistor
16x 10 ohm 1/4 watt resistors
1x Tip35C transistor
1x 8.2k 1 watt resistor
1x 3525 PWM controller
2x 2n4401 NPN transistors

The remote turn on circuitry was shorted, all 16 PS MOSFETS were shorted, as well as their driver transistors and PWM controller. One TIP35C output was replaced sometime in the past with a Ti part, where all others were ST. I replaced the Ti with another ST to maintain gain properties.

I had everything but the MOSFETS, caps and resistors in stock. I pulled the defective components last night and cleaned it up. After replacing the 3525 and the driver transistors, there is now 2.5v AC at 58kHz on the gate drives on both sections of the power supply. Parts should be here Thursday, with repair completion as soon as Saturday.
sdsport92064

Post by sdsport92064 »

"DEATH TOLL" ahha hah a h hah ah ah a h hah a haha

That will include me, if the wife gets home and sees the UPS van pulling up not with her Coach purses but with long, slim boxes. Crossing fingers.

Jim, the 100 should be here end of this week, the 200 end of next, and waiting to see on the other 200.

Thanks again!