zx350 on/even b4 fuse put back in??????

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
thedeal7235

zx350 on/even b4 fuse put back in??????

Post by thedeal7235 »

sorry guys i need help!!!! my zx350 powered up even b4 i put the fuse in for it? the remote wire is coming off of the dd10-any clues?-help quic, and please and thank you in advance
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
Jim Truett

Post by Jim Truett »

The fuse in the amp, or the fuse at the battery/distribution block? The PS input caps store some current, and the leds will illuminate for a little while if you have the ground and remote connected without a +12 feed. They will deplete after a few seconds.
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

i just pulled the remote wire out and its still going, maybe the fuse where i reconnected? ill go check it, thanx jim, even with remote wire off, its getting 12.5 volts!!!
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

ok, i pulled the fuse, and the fuse looks good,and that amp turned off, and another amp coming off that same block(even though 2 different fuses) wasnt coming on,untill i powered system up- i wonder if its the amp internally, as it is a zx350 i can see thru the window that fuse looks good too
Jim Truett

Post by Jim Truett »

If you have 12v and ground going to the 350 and it won't turn off, even with the remote wire disconnected, you probably have a shorted transistor on the PS control board.
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

ok, new fuse at distro block, and main fuse; still turns on without any power, im gonna go ahead and pull/replace amp internal fuse, even though it looks good, if thats not the problem what could it be internally? i had this on my ps a month ago, and it didnt act like this-ill let everybody know in a few minutes-
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

yeaph its something internal with the amp, not any of the fuses-
Jim Truett

Post by Jim Truett »

Q8/ZTX749 on the PS daughterboard IIRC.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Bring it to me...I will take it here next week with my ZX450 and see if they can fix it for you

This is where I go if I don't what the problem is....they are not very expensive....I have never paid more than $60 to have something repaired and the work is excellent. They have been in business for quite some time now. It's only about 5 minutes from my house too. 8)

http://www.sound-repair.com/

This is the place I was telling you about Christian....these guys know their stuff, and this is also where the guy who builds amplifiers hangs out at 8)
Last edited by dBincognito on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

jim, i obviouslyhave some knowledge, as ive replaced the output transistors a zx450, power input/rail caps on both zx350/450, can u by chance give me a more precise location?-not too sure what the Q8 is and im looking for, i know the daughter board, the 1 ur refering too is the same one that has the leds soldered to it, or the xover board?-alk @ pg had to re-solder my xover board on this model b/c the 8ribbon conductor fellout on me, and i just couldnt get it;it was like they used 28gauge to solder the main/over boards together, and thanks guys-Christian
Jim Truett

Post by Jim Truett »

Q8 is the location on the board. You should be able to see it silk screened in close proximity to the ZTX749 transistor in that location.

Common symbols used in car amplifiers:

IC = integrated circuit
Q = transistor
D = diode
ZD = zener diode
L = inductor/choke
T = transformer
J = jumper
R = resistor
C = capacitor

The number that follows the letter denoted the device number in that particular assembly.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Give me a few minutes....I will provide pictures, so we don't have to guess :lol: :wink:
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Here it is
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

so, with my dmm, what will i be checking for? any1?
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

ok, well ive emailed with alek from pg(guy that repairs the amps sent back in), he seemed to think somehow the power is touching the remote, so i removed the board, saw nothing burnt, no fray wires etc., put it all back together, thru it back on the power supply, and with no remote jumper wire, amp still turns on, fan, but no output, so i put a jumper wire to the remote terminal , and there was output-this seems very strange?????? :?: :?: :?: :?:
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Sounds to me like the same thing the guy at PG told you
Somehow, the two terminals are linking, that was my first guess as well
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

there should be a relay on the remote turn on that could be shorted and keeping the circuit closed and keeping the amp on. If you have power on the remote terminal then idunno......
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

well, he did put a jumper wire ,on the underneath of the board, going from one of the positive power input caps, to the fourth "PRONG" ps board(prong meaning there are about 20 solder joints ,soldering the ps board to the main board-
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

I told you, I can fix it.....or you can sell it and ride out with the 475

They are tucked away so you don't see them anyway :wink:
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

dBincognito wrote:I told you, I can fix it.....or you can sell it and ride out with the 475

They are tucked away so you don't see them anyway :wink:
i dont think there is anyway ill ever part with the 350, that, and my 450, were my first 2 pg amps ever(1996-V1), so they hold a sentimental value, that the average dollar amount u can get from them, would never be enough for me to part with :wink:
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

I fully understand....I'm trying for the 475 :wink:
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

It could go with my recently acquired Ti collection :roll: :lol: :wink:
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

dBincognito wrote:It could go with my recently acquired Ti collection :roll: :lol: :wink:
trust me, i kick my ass over the last 600.2 i sold u-
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

I could still have the problem diagnosed and repaired if you can't figure it out...just let me know
vingasoline

Post by vingasoline »

thedeal7235 wrote:ok, well ive emailed with alek from pg(guy that repairs the amps sent back in), he seemed to think somehow the power is touching the remote, so i removed the board, saw nothing burnt, no fray wires etc., put it all back together, thru it back on the power supply, and with no remote jumper wire, amp still turns on, fan, but no output, so i put a jumper wire to the remote terminal , and there was output-this seems very strange?????? :?: :?: :?: :?:
If power is somehow touching the remote, then hook up power and ground and without remote applied see if you get voltage at the remote terminal. If not, then that's not the problem.