Input voltage MS-Series Amps

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

gentlejax2 wrote:woah...glad I saw this...guess I need to pull my line driver out or not use it for my mint MS275 I just got.....

just run it off the 4 volts from the deck...

Is that a PLD1 line driver ?

Maybe MINT and white in color :?:
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

When it comes to the MS line of amps, some of the models clip differently than others. Ideally you would want the preamp section of the amp to clip when the output does (or at least that makes sense to me). I would guess doing things this way would maximize signal to noise throughout the amplifier.

I have found some MS amps to clip on the preamp prior to the output stage. In this case, you would not be able to get maximum power out of the amp. This is rare, and I am only talking a small difference of a volt or two, so you are not loosing much.

If you wanted to feed your MS amp 20V on the input, you could. To do so, you would need to make a voltage divider circuit at the amp, or better yet in the amp. This consists of only two resistors.

It is best to have the largest voltage you can on your RCAs, as it improves the signal to noise. If you put a voltage divider at the input to the amp, it will cut the voltage by the ratio you specify, while at the same time cutting the noise by the same ratio.

If you did feed a stock MS amp 20V in, it would likely only burn up one or two resistors right at the input. I highly doubt any more of the amp would fail. These resistors are only 1/4w, and when you give them 20V, their max current is likely to be exceeded.

I owned a old Rockford deck rated at 8V, but it would only do 8V with the tone controls maxed. I think Rockford had some small print about this somewhere in the manual, but to me it seemed like a shoddy marketing poly. I cannot remember which model it was though.
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

vin78 wrote:
gentlejax2 wrote:woah...glad I saw this...guess I need to pull my line driver out or not use it for my mint MS275 I just got.....

Mint huh? Where did you get that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need another one now...its like crack.....I have fallen off the wagon..again..
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

dBincognito wrote:

Is that a PLD1 line driver ?

Maybe MINT and white in color :?:

its a Audio Control Overdirve line driver...not the old school PG line driver....

The MS275 is mint...got it from Vin....few days ago...swear it looks new..
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo