HELIX XXL POWERSTATION

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

HELIX XXL POWERSTATION

Post by nico boom »

Just bought this device, that should beat any capacitor whatsoever.
It converts any given input voltage from 10 volts up to 15 volts maximum.
The constant current capability is 100 A, peak is 200 A .
This means that even with your car- engine off, your install still gets a continous voltage of up to 15 volts [adjustable by a pot].
Also it has a soft- start build in for normal capacitors, and the ability to work on the output without any current present [it's a smart thing..]
I will post a review of it, testing it with a MS 1000; let's see if it makes up for the huge popularity in Germany, that it has amongst SPL-freaks... :twisted:
Attachments
IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1903.JPG (128.25 KiB) Viewed 24545 times
IMG_1904.JPG
IMG_1904.JPG (99.56 KiB) Viewed 24545 times
marko

Post by marko »

looks awsome, so this kinda regulates your amps then?
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wow!! Those are so rare here.

Marko, it regulates voltage... so it keeps your system at 14.4v, even if your power sags to 10v. If you've got it running on your battery, still 14.4v. They keep your system voltage rock solid in a huge variety of conditions.

You think 100 amps will be enough to feed that monster Nico? You're going to need four of them :lol:
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

DANM that's a sexy peice. I can't say I've ever seen one of those around here.

How much did it run ya?
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
marko

Post by marko »

i want one :evil:
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

Thanks Nico, I have been looking at such an item for ages, but I really do not know if that is something for me to have in my system...

So I am looking forward to see your review, and hear your opinions...
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Going to test it this weekend.
First test done; with an old battery, measured at 11 volts.
The powerstation converted it to a firm 15 volts, running a starter motor from a 190SL [current measured at 86 A while cranking] ; this promises something good for my install!
These things cost around 600 euros [$ 944 ], and are not offered for sale much, even around here.
I bought it for a much better price; just couldn't resist having, and testing one!
It's in mint condition, original box, wooden crate etc.
As for the current; I'm not going to put it under a extreme heavy stereo load; just run my home-install on it ,connected to a few fresh car batteries.
After playing with it , it's up for sale again; I have my powersupply at home in the basement, providing all the power I need :wink:
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

I love when Pedi posts :P

This sounds similar to the 'Accuvolt' from the old days.
Greg Kitching
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

gkitching wrote:I love when Pedi posts :P
You just got to get used to it :wink:

Best regards to you from Norway as always, BTW...

I also need a DD10...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

nico boom wrote:After playing with it , it's up for sale again; I have my powersupply at home in the basement, providing all the power I need :wink:
Iwannit :shock:

Helix gear is so.... sexy. Get me an Esprit 500 while you're at it :lol:

I should have bought that one the Syndicate was selling. God why does this stuff have to cost money? :roll:
El-Akeem

Post by El-Akeem »

If someone is interested in Helix Products, please feel free to contact me, I can give you some nice discounts on German prices... :D

Achim
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

El-Akeem wrote:If someone is interested in Helix Products, please feel free to contact me, I can give you some nice discounts on German prices... :D

Achim
Bazzing!

I don't need any Helix stuff, but man that sounds like a great offer. :drool:
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

El-Akeem wrote:If someone is interested in Helix Products, please feel free to contact me, I can give you some nice discounts on German prices... :D

Achim
Thanks...

But I really need to see how Nico's test goes first...

I also need a DD10...
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

SO... I did my best... but so far, I was NOT ABLE TO MEASURE IT'S LIMITS. [it's fused at 150 A].
I hooked up one new [big] car battery from my work, my [modified] MS1000, and played music, test tones etc.; fun...[NOT accoarding to my neighbours :lol: ].
Conclusion; this thing does what it is supposed to do, and I was not able to get it into it's max current protection, it just kept on going until my battery's voltage was really sagging under 10 volts for over a minute; normal operation which activates the shut-off function.
It is a very well protected device as well; abuse-proof.
So at this moment all I can say is it will really lift your install to a higher level.
Especially your amps will benefit from the constant voltage delivered; 14.4 volts for example, with your car engine not running.
I share some pics, and will update this review when I do find it's limits. :wink:
Attachments
fuses.jpg
fuses.jpg (79.15 KiB) Viewed 24412 times
diagram.jpg
diagram.jpg (74.41 KiB) Viewed 24412 times
specs.jpg
specs.jpg (105.41 KiB) Viewed 24412 times
caps.jpg
caps.jpg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 24413 times
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

Hmmm... Interesting that they still show the use of a stiffening cap in the install instructions :?
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

andy600rr wrote:Hmmm... Interesting that they still show the use of a stiffening cap in the install instructions :?
A cap, when used properly, acts as nothing but a power filter. So in this case it would still serve its intended purpose; mending whatever ripple may be in the transformed signal.

Installing a cap before the transformer would be filtering in the wrong place, so I believe this is why they demonstrate how to properly install one, if you want to go for that extra bit of SQ.
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

stipud wrote:
andy600rr wrote:Hmmm... Interesting that they still show the use of a stiffening cap in the install instructions :?
A cap, when used properly, acts as nothing but a power filter. So in this case it would still serve its intended purpose; mending whatever ripple may be in the transformed signal.

Installing a cap before the transformer would be filtering in the wrong place, so I believe this is why they demonstrate how to properly install one, if you want to go for that extra bit of SQ.
Agreed, but they show one BEFORE and AFTER the Helix.
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

andy600rr wrote:Agreed, but they show one BEFORE and AFTER the Helix.
Hey, I missed that one! My bad.

I suppose that makes sense then; filtering DC ripple pre-and-post powersupply, just like within amps.
Last edited by stipud on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

OK Nico..

So what are you really saying? Is this f.ex. something for me in my install? How many of those could I have use for, and does this thingy work together with PG Powercore???

I also need a DD10...
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

I have no experience with a powercore, I guess you won't be needing one when you use this powerstation [or more of them] in your install.
Difference is that when voltage drops, no powercore, or cap can do much for an install.
The powerstation just keeps on delivering 14.4 volts until your batteries are down to 10 volts for more than one minute.
[they are seriously emptied by that time!] :lol:
How much of them you would need ,depends on your total power consumption.
They can be linked together by a build-in system, to provide max. efficiency. [see pic.]
Note that in this setup, although using more powerstations, they do NOT suggest adding more caps... :wink:
Attachments
3 powerstations.jpg
3 powerstations.jpg (68.95 KiB) Viewed 24378 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You would hook the powercore up where the >1 Farad cap is placed... However I wonder what the usefulness of it would be. The powercore, being a carbon-aerogel cap (unless you're a lucky bugger and got the 20 farad array) has a fairly high ESR. This would make it less effective at filtering DC ripple. I would personally stick to a 2 farad low-esr cap instead. This way the XXL powerstation will keep you at 14.4v, and the capacitor will have no issue filtering out DC ripple, giving you a ridiculously clean input signal for your amplifier.

Pedi, since these things produce 100 amps each, you would need quite a few for your setup!! How many amps you got again?? :lol: :shock: :shock:
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

stipud wrote:You would hook the powercore up where the >1 Farad cap is placed... However I wonder what the usefulness of it would be. The powercore, being a carbon-aerogel cap (unless you're a lucky bugger and got the 20 farad array) has a fairly high ESR. This would make it less effective at filtering DC ripple. I would personally stick to a 2 farad low-esr cap instead. This way the XXL powerstation will keep you at 14.4v, and the capacitor will have no issue filtering out DC ripple, giving you a ridiculously clean input signal for your amplifier.

Pedi, since these things produce 100 amps each, you would need quite a few for your setup!! How many amps you got again?? :lol: :shock: :shock:
I have only one of the 15 farads Powercore samples. But I must have some more so I wonder if I have to get some Helixxes or some powercores. Or both Helix and Powercores? Damn, I do not know what to do....

Stipud, I got some Franks you know - and it pops out a few MSs also :wink: , so I do have some Amperages going through the powercables....

So Nico, I might be on your list of interests as soon as you are selling it? :wink:

I also need a DD10...
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

BTW...

Is this the same that you got, Nico?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Rare-100-NEW-Brax-HE ... 638Q2em122

I also need a DD10...
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Yep; that's the same.
It's rare over there too! [taiwan] :lol:
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

Hmm.. I might get some samples of those then... So many that you will call me Pedi Powerstation in the end, hehe... :D

I also need a DD10...