Dcon12d4

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

also, its wired for 8ohms in that box, its probibly only seeing ~150 watts
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
denim

Post by denim »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:I haven't really pushed it yet...... Kinda tuning it for my car.....

Running off the rear of my 600.4 it sounds real clean. No real trunk deadning.... :oops: It's nice and tight but like pussy, ya gotta beat on it abit before it shows it's shape...... :wink:

I'll give it a day or two and see what it sounds like.........
That is what we try to tell anyone who picks up an SSA driver, to give it a little time to break in. :)
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Car- 97 Civic
Amp- Ta600.4 (rear chn)

Brian built the box to the RSdC spec (sealed enclosure) for its stay in Portland so we’ll have to take that into account…… :P We’ll also factor in that I stepped down from an XMax 15 to this 12. While it sounds great, it needs more power to reach its max potential. :oops: All this said here we go…… :arrow:

The first disc I ran through the Dcon was an ol’ skool favorite of mine from Outkast….. ATLiens. :bong: The woofer seems to be very musical to my ears in that it can go from low to high and back down without skipping a beat…. No pun intended. :lol: It hits hard and exact but can also flow through the notes seamlessly when required to do so. I did find that it has a couple dead spots at times but that could be a fine-tune issue on both the amp and box. Need more power……. :oops: :oops:
For a change of pace, I gave Green Day’s American Idiot a spin. :metal: I really like this album because it’s one that you can press play and let it go……and I’ve done just that atleast 30 times……It's a great ride and I'd recomend it to anyone.... The woofer kept up perfectly with all the album had to throw at it. Lots of authority in the kick drum and deepness from Mike Dirnt’s 4-string.
Hell, even the radio sounds good....... :whistle:

I’m 100% sure that a pair of these on a 600.1 (or a 1200.1 :twisted: ) would do just fine…… I’d also like to hear it in a ported box after it’s been used for awhile. :hmm: I’ll bet it gets dirt low on 300watts after the suspension gets broke in abit. Like pussy that is…. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: The appearance of the woofer appeals to me because of the simplicity of the print on the front, beefy suspension and the ability to reverse mount it if I so chose to. It looks like it would “do the job” right out of the carton so I wasn’t surprised to hear it sound good………But I wonder how it’ll sound in a year………….. :hmm:

Thanks fer lettin me take ‘er fer a ride Tom……… :wink: And thanks Denim for a well rounded woofer........ no pun intended.......
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

to add to the box...its 1.25, which is what denim suggested for it
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

from here: http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showpost ... ostcount=9
"I have built an enclosure for a Dcon 10" for a buddies car
we used 1.25cf3 plus displacements tuned at 33hz and it's
really quite amazing SQ wise.....
136.7db on the dash with a Sony Xplode 500w amp...LOL "
who's volunteering? ;)

Bret
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You should give it a rip at 2 ohms. Pretty sure your amp would take it.

Also, he mentioned the sub liking 0.9cuft. Maybe try hucking some styrofoam in there to see what sounds better... 1.25 or 0.9?
http://phoenixphorum.com/post88863.html#88863
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

No need to make a new one if you have a few, nothing a little bit of stuffing or wood slugs can't fix. Wink But size wise, you will be fine with anything in the .9-1.25 range for sealed, if you wanted to try ported between 1.75 and 2.0 around 30hz is plenty for this model. It is a fairly forgiving driver that is fine in smaller boxes, I just prefer to suggest a little on the larger side of the spectrum because I prefer the sound from most drivers in slightly larger boxes.

:P

but yeah....if Harold wants to wants to shrink it we can
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

Send the sub to me, I willl make sure it gets some power.. :lol:
denim

Post by denim »

Awesome!! Thank you for really taking the time to give it a fair shake. Would love to hear what you think of it ported. But yeah, it should be approx of 24-36 hours of break in before it really settles. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but we have to dial in some DAF. So it is ratted at 300rms but is comfortable up to 425ish. I can say that here because I know you guys are not clipping your amplifiers and not trying to hit 160db on the termlab.

Any chance you have a picture of it installed in the testing environment?

We will have to get the reviews collected once the ring is done so they can go up on the site.

:)
denim

Post by denim »

bretti_kivi wrote:from here: http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showpost ... ostcount=9
"I have built an enclosure for a Dcon 10" for a buddies car
we used 1.25cf3 plus displacements tuned at 33hz and it's
really quite amazing SQ wise.....
136.7db on the dash with a Sony Xplode 500w amp...LOL "
who's volunteering? ;)

Bret
That is trevor. He has installed a few Icon's and Dcon's in his customers vehicles and they have all been super happy with the end result. :)
denim

Post by denim »

Harold, are you going to mess with it more or sending it one to the next demo-ring person?
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

How about ported denim. what kind of air space are we looking at?
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I'm done now....... I ran it for a few days then went back to the 15 and then went back to the 12. I noticed this time around that the 12 is starting to loosen up abit and get lower more cleanly on the mear 150watts I'm giving it.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:I'm done now....... I ran it for a few days then went back to the 15 and then went back to the 12. I noticed this time around that the 12 is starting to loosen up abit and get lower more cleanly on the mear 150watts I'm giving it.
Okay, Brian, Errin or Steve... let's get crack-a-lackin :D
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

i will have it in by this weekend!
denim

Post by denim »

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:How about ported denim. what kind of air space are we looking at?
1.75 cube after displacement, is a great start. They can really open up if you go larger. Their advantage is preforming very well in smaller ported enclosures then comparable drivers ported enclosures. :)
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

OK at LONG last....here is my review. i still have a couple more songs to put through it, but i should be ready to pass it on in the next person in a couple days

as seen previously, the sub is in a sealed box just a hair under 1.25cf
powered of a xenon 600.1 at 8ohms

also, just a disclaimer. it may sound like i'm nitpicking or being overly critical of the sub...but that what you guys wanted right? :) i tried to pick songs i was familiar with that had unique elements. so in the end, i DID like the sub very much, but in this review i tried to touch on any imperfections i found.

the first song i threw in was Nirvana's "come as you are" no so much because its a very technical track, but because i am VERY familiar with the song and know what it should sound like. i was really really impressed by the punched in the back feeling right off the bad. very tight and accurate.

the next track was Faithless's "my Baby" this song starts with a pretty basic melodic bass line and then at 1:10 sets in with a deeper undertone. the sub was stellar until that under tone hit, but muddied up a bit. not bad, but the constant bass line that players through the song did suffer from the addition of the undertone.

Crystal method - community service 2 - intro: this song builds slow with some extremely low notes and eventually climbs into the aggressive CM sound we love. it played the low notes, Very clean but it seemed like it cut them a little short, almost like the sub was TOO tight. subs like the IDq, RSD, RSDc and xenon let the note "linger" longer. but song still sounded great

Common - Be - Intro: this song also starts slow with a Bass guitar that makes almost every sub i try it on just sound awkward. the Dcon did very well, some of the lower notes were a little "tone-y" but this sub kept up as well or better then any sub i have tested with this track. in fact if i hadn't heard it with headphones a few times, i would just think the song is off.

con't...
Last edited by Bfowler on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

con't...

Big Tymers - big money heavyweight - back up: this song has some very tight bass lines and the sub did them all justice i would actually say it made the song sound perfect.

DJP - pee's big adventure - van halen/del mix: this song has a tight mainline, and then a SILLY low secondary note. the sub played them all great! the mainline was punchy, the low note shook my eyeballs. the sub was transparent sounding in the system. perfect. (uploading later too)

Lupe Fiasco - the cool - hiphop saved my live: this song is damn near test tones. and the sub nailed them again. never muddied or distorted even during the tone sweep at about 55sec

"" "" dumb it down: one of my all time faves, this song has a odd repeating bass progression as its beat. starting low, and moving higher, the beginning was a little "tone-y" but still good, and the rest was spot on

con't
Last edited by Bfowler on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

snoop dogg - rhythm and gangsta - step your game up: this whole album is EXTREMELY well produced, and this song is just an EVIL street bass thumper. the sub took it like a champ, not as much overall output as i would have liked (which isnt this subs purpose anyway) but it played very clean for what it did get. i would guess the sub was still at or around 130db, so not bad at all.

later today i will be testing:

so 2 days later...sorry...

these last 3 i saved to the end on purpose. these are my A squad for testing subs....

3rd eye blind - out of the vain - misfits: this song has the absolute lowest note i have encountered in a song. it makes most sub flop around like a dying fish (Including the PG RSD) you barley even hear it, but with the right sub...boy do you feel it) the Dcon didn't quite nail it, it DID play it (and without distortion or cone noise, which i can't say for almost every sub) but it didn't have the authority of subs like the xenon or rsdc) this tells me it has a more natural roll off then the rsd sub. its almost like "intelligence" the rsd doesn't know it can't play the note...so it goes for it anyway and it distorts and makes a ton of non-music nosie. the dcon seems to know that it shouldn't kill its slef trying and scales back its effort and still plays clean music

Jurassic 5 - feedback - back 4 U. this is a prime example of the type of bass i demand of my sub. it has a pretty standard main line with a aggressive background note. this pretty much mimicked the misfits song. it played it very clean, but i really like that note to SLAM. (will upload later)

chemical brothers - saturate: pretty smiler to back 4 U. starts slow and builds to a very aggressive bass line with multiple bass elements. on think to touch on is even with the addition of many different types of synthesized bass in this song, the sub didn't seem to skip a beat, but as the a above 2 songs, the lowest of the notes didn't have the output i really really love in this song. (upload later also)

so that concludes it. my final thoughts are....its a damn good sub. it has the flattest response of any sub i can think of. its tight and has a response that runs the whole spectrum of everything i could throw at it. and the best part is it did this all with right around 400 watts. to compare it with the rsdc directly (which is the sub i built the box for and i intend to keep in my car) it did well. it was accurate and tight transparent and smooth.

the biggest difference was the "level" of bass. (don't confuse "level with volume) with the rsdc i feel completely emerged in bass. from the windshield, the floor, the sides...i am saturated in it. Over, around, in front, behind my head chest, legs. The Dcon still blends nice like it is coming from the front of the car (rather then the trunk like many subs)...but the bass only seems to fill up to my shoulders or so (i know that description sounds odd, but thats the best way i can describe it. if you want me to elaborate i will try and think of a better analogy)

the RSDc also has more low-end authority. i think this is probably due to the excursion of the rsdc. the dcon seems ruler flat down to the end of my audible range...but the rsdc seems to have a incline the lower it plays the louder it gets (this may or may not be a good thing depending on what you like...i happen to like it)

so while i did like this sub a awful lot, it didn't win me over from the rsdc. 1 thing to touch on though is that comparison is the same amp, same box, but because the rsdc is running at 4ohms, I'm giving it almost twice the power as the dcon. (which is also why the rsdc seemed to have more output) in a pure sq car (flat response wanted) i would definitely turn to this sub, especially because of its ability given low power.

let me know if you want any further explanations or clarifications. thanks for being patent while i tested it!

errin should have this bad boy by the weekend. i'm anxious to see why he can do to it...he has some obscure songs that are just cruel to subs
Last edited by Bfowler on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I would like to know your thoughts against the RSDC in particular Brian, since that will be my comparison for A/Bing. If you can give me an idea of the kinds of differences, I will have a better idea of what precise parts to look at when I test it.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

yup, i will be getting to that in my conclusion :)
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

stipud wrote:Yep, it's gotta hit Brian Errin Harold and yourself before it leaves.

After that it's Casey, then Paul if I recall correctly. Was there anyone else?
Id like to put her to the test aswell please :D Something is telling me there was a certain amount of posts you needed? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
denim

Post by denim »

Very nicely detailed Brian. :)
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Wait a tic, I though we were testing a single 4 ohm VC?? :? :?
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

mr tibbs wrote:Wait a tic, I though we were testing a single 4 ohm VC?? :? :?
Nope, the sub only comes in a DVC 4.

Denim might be making me a custom DVC 2/SVC 4 however :)