frequency chart

All interesting or frequently asked topics will be moved here for reference. If you have a general question, please check here before posting. You may reply to threads here, but not post new ones. Chatter and off-topic remarks will be purged. Please contact a moderator to have a thread copied here.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

frequency chart

Post by Bfowler »

saw this posted on diyma, pretty handy guide for tuning your system
Attachments
Frequency Chart.jpg
Frequency Chart.jpg (526.37 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

there's an interactive version of the chart, too.

It's here: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn ... isplay.htm

The interactive version has a lot more inforamtion about the instruments, the harmonics and other bits... the graphic alone is around 20% of the value.

Bret
dontlookatme

Post by dontlookatme »

now show me how i would use this to tune my car?
3x ti600.2, 1x ti1000.2 (hidding in the closet),1x 6.5 ti elite comp (front), 1x 5.25 ti elite comp (back), 2x XO crossovers, 2x tantrumX dual 4 ohm, zero point full power+ ground wiring
6x pc-ccc zero point rca
storage for the rest of my stuff
reallyxxxxxxloud

Post by reallyxxxxxxloud »

You would need a printer (make sure its a A4 printer)... print this out.

Fold it into fours lengthwise then slowly feed it into your CD slot...

DADA :clap: :hurr:
PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1
ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4
AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
ECLPISE 10" X2 SW9102
PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES X2
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WHOA WHOA hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: -

man!~! i am cryin'/tearing up after i read that- crying with laughter!
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

dontlookatme wrote:now show me how i would use this to tune my car?
Knowing what instrument and vocal frequency ranges fall between is a great way to set crossover points. For instance, male vocals as shown on the above chart go from 100 hz to around 2 khz for recoginition. Therefore, you want to try to plan your crossover points so that they don't interfere so much with whatever instruments/vocals you are trying to accurately reproduce. Also it is helpful in selecting drivers. For example, I listen to mostly hardcore/metal music and I love the double kick drums to be reproduced as tight and punchy as they can be with some authority. For my midbass drivers, I will use 8" or 10" drivers that can deliver that authority and "tight punchy" bass that I desire, as most 5" and 6" drivers can not deliver that type of authority at 50 hz to 70 hz. By knowing the frequency ranges of instruments and vocals, I will choose my drivers based on these frequencies as well as physical space limitations for the driver and enclosure.

Below is an article from CA&E where the author talks about driver selection based on the frequency ranges of instruments and vocalists. Now, in my opinion his install is over the top, but he brings up some valid points in driver selection, as well as driver placement. Also notice the comment about the "flat" RTA response that is measured, and how humans perceive music in a different manner than the RTA. I remember Greg Kitching making a comment about how a tuned to flat system sounds dull, and this explains why. That is why after using an RTA it is always best to tune by listening.
Attachments
CAE Car Audio System Nobody_part1_jun08.pdf
(6.55 MiB) Downloaded 674 times
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?