Ford Exploder Updated 2-1-12 w/ Xcon

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I don't know of many of us on here competing, I just do not want the name "Exploder" to come true...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

Is that the mat finish Stinger wire Zak had mentioned? It is really nice looking wire regardless.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

It is a bunch of different wire actually. The alternator to batter ground is PG, the alternator to battery positive is Stinger, and the 2 runs going to the distro blocks are Knukonceptz.
ttocs wrote:ah I missed that sentence :shock: . That is strange as they do contradict themselfs.....
I found that strange too. Either way, I don't want it to be an Exploder, more like an XSplorer. 8)
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Weekend Update. Ran all signal wiring, speaker wiring, LPL wiring, and mounted TDD5 and EQ215X. I had a difficult time finding places for the DD5 and the EQ, but I think I managed quite well. I wanted the DD5 hidden, yet easily accessible for status of the amps and processor. The EQ needed to be as close to the headunit as possible since it is doubling as a line driver. This was the best place I could find that provided easy access for tuning as well as being close to the source. It is relatively hidden and out of the way. I will be putting an end piece on it, but just ran out of time this weekend.
Attachments
Top plate/endplate in the works.
Top plate/endplate in the works.
EQ215X Enclosure.jpg (184.76 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
EQ215X.jpg
EQ215X.jpg (160.61 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
TDD5 Console.jpg
TDD5 Console.jpg (234.32 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
TDD5.jpg
TDD5.jpg (140.21 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
I modified the center console container to fit the DD5. I also added a switch to turn the sub amp on and off when I don't have my sub.
I modified the center console container to fit the DD5. I also added a switch to turn the sub amp on and off when I don't have my sub.
Center Console.jpg (199.48 KiB) Viewed 10852 times

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Quick update. My LPL knobs came in today. Actually they are DiMarzio "Speed" guitar knobs, that fit the potentiometers I bought perfectly. Now my bass will be one louder as it has the ability to go to "11". :D

Attachments
Goes to 11.jpg
Goes to 11.jpg (228.93 KiB) Viewed 10816 times

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Now that is a nice touch!! :lol:
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

[these go to eleven] gotta love it man you allways have to be at least one step ahead of the competion i wonder what would happen if it went to twelve i guess that would be way to much. :D
XONE

Post by XONE »

The Golden One wrote:[these go to eleven] gotta love it man you allways have to be at least one step ahead of the competion i wonder what would happen if it went to twelve i guess that would be way to much. :D
but these go to 11
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

The Golden One wrote:[these go to eleven] gotta love it man you allways have to be at least one step ahead of the competion i wonder what would happen if it went to twelve i guess that would be way to much. :D
well thats silly. you could just make 11 represent a higher volume. i dont know why you didnt think of that
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

This made my day and my week. Thank you.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Finally! Finished with my doors (40-50 hours later). I mounted a pair of XS10d4 subs in the doors in a custom MDF/fiberglass enclosure. The enclosure comes out to about .55 ft^3 so I added some polyfill to help with the undersized enclosure. I also glassed in my tweeters into the sail panels. They are mounted so that they are on axis which is why they aren't symmetrical. I also carpeted them because... I didn't feel like waiting around for bondo to dry then sand, then paint. I will be doing the same for the mids in the dash. Overall, it turned out about like I expected. Bass that comes from the front (cuz it is) and will definitely give your legs a massage. The sound so far is nothing short of great.
Attachments
The tweeter pod sticks out a little far. Oh well. Both doors close fine after a little adjustment of the seat controls.
The tweeter pod sticks out a little far. Oh well. Both doors close fine after a little adjustment of the seat controls.
Passenger Side Door.jpg (196.06 KiB) Viewed 10731 times
Here it is finished. I used automotive trim to cover the cut on the bottom of the door panel. Not chrome though like I see some people use to accent their door lines... The XS woofers look rough, but I didn't want to spend any more money on this install,
Here it is finished. I used automotive trim to cover the cut on the bottom of the door panel. Not chrome though like I see some people use to accent their door lines... The XS woofers look rough, but I didn't want to spend any more money on this install,
Driver's Side Door.jpg (198.29 KiB) Viewed 10731 times
Painted. I suck at painting.
Painted. I suck at painting.
Door Enclosure Mounted.jpg (301.7 KiB) Viewed 10731 times
A lot of time was spent getting the fiberglass and MDF portions in the right spot for the doors to close. I had to fiberglass all the way around the inside seam where the two came together. Two layers! Pain in the ass, but it is air tight. (Much to my sur
A lot of time was spent getting the fiberglass and MDF portions in the right spot for the doors to close. I had to fiberglass all the way around the inside seam where the two came together. Two layers! Pain in the ass, but it is air tight. (Much to my sur
Door Enclosures Bare.jpg (208.05 KiB) Viewed 10731 times
I was surprised that I could get the MDF to bend such a tight radius. I had to wet it down to prevent cracking, but it turned out great! I fiberglassed the inside after to seal up the cuts.
I was surprised that I could get the MDF to bend such a tight radius. I had to wet it down to prevent cracking, but it turned out great! I fiberglassed the inside after to seal up the cuts.
Door Enclosure Frame.jpg (275.78 KiB) Viewed 10731 times

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

So are you going to fiberglass that all in, or is it a function over form kinda thing? :lol:
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

stipud wrote:So are you going to fiberglass that all in, or is it a function over form kinda thing? :lol:
Fiberglass it all in? I'm not sure what you're thinking in terms of fiberglassing. I basically cut the door panel at the seam where the pocket was located in the door panel and designed the enclosure to follow the contours of the door. It sticks out a little further than the pocket did, but I had no choice due to the mounting depth of the speaker. My goals here are obviously not show car install, but good sound that doesn't break the bank or take up any usable space within the vehicle.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

do the doors still seal up at the bottom? It looks like your enclosure goes past the rubber seal that is needed contact the metal.

I think what he meant was are you going to FG the bottom so it is molded into one piece.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Ahh... I see. No, I have no intention of fiberglassing the two together. Yes, the doors still seal exactly as they did before. The enclosure size leaves about half an inch all the way around between the enclosure and the door seal. I have better pictures to show how it all fits together, but I left them at home.

kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

did you protect the back of the box from all the water that goes into doors? I would hate to see all that work fall apart over time
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

kg1961 wrote:did you protect the back of the box from all the water that goes into doors? I would hate to see all that work fall apart over time
Yes. The entire door panel is sound deadened, the back of the enclosure is fiberglassed, and the front of the enclosure is primered and painted with several layers of paint.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would put a coat of resin inside and out or that thing will slowly rot away.

How far does the window go down now? did it make any change in it?
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

ttocs wrote:I would put a coat of resin inside and out or that thing will slowly rot away.

How far does the window go down now? did it make any change in it?
If the inside is air tight, do you think I would still be O.K.? What about the outside due to the paint? I figured that by painting it with several layers of primer and then several layers of paint (2-3 coats each) it would be fine. Plus with the sound deadener sealing the door skin, no direct water should be able to get to it. Only issue would be moisture. The window goes all the way down still. The enclosure is on the outside of door skin and the bolts that hold it down only protrude about 1/2" inside.

Stryker

Post by Stryker »

wrapping those in beige carpet would make a HUGE difference in how those look.... For the better. I'm sure you get great beat from those but they stand out like sore thumbs.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

True. I half looked on Parts Express for tan carpet, but didn't find anything to match close that could also be stretchable. Some day down the road I'll probably fine tune some details like better matching carpet, but TBH... I'm sick of working on this thing night and day. It's kind of sad when you spend more time with your stereo than you do your girlfriend. :)

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that would depend on the girl, and the stereo...
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

ttocs wrote:that would depend on the girl, and the stereo...

how true how true...lol
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you can always fix a stereo :roll: .........
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Who says you can't fix a wife?????

"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998