Servicing my 2 cyclones journey.

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!

Should I fix one and scrap one or try to fix both.

Fix one and scrap one
33%
Fix both and see what happens
67%

Total votes: 9

mtnman423

Servicing my 2 cyclones journey.

Post by mtnman423 »

This will be the official forum for my journey while servicing my cyclones. Hopefully people will help me with my questions and my post will help others. I know if it weren't from passed posts I would have been lost trying to service my clones. I have posted in 3 other topics but this will be the official one from here on out. To get people up to speed and to shed some light on what I'm up against. I bought two cyclones with the intentions of putting both in my truck. Before servicing my clones on of them was stuck beyond anything over seen from posts on here. I had just about given up and people on here gave me a lot of great ideas as to what to do. What finally allowed me to take the clone apart was a good soaking of wd-40 and using needle nose pliers instead of using the screws from the clone. While servicing them I discovered that one of them has huge chunks of the magnet broken off. Oh and the other one has some burnt wires. So basically I can scrap one and save one. However at paying what is did just to get these subs, I really hate to scrap one. I'm gonna try everything to get both working. I look forward to everyone's posts on here and going on this journey with me. I will repost the pics that I've posted on the other places on this one.
mtnman423

Re: Servicing my 2 cyclones journey.

Post by mtnman423 »

This is what was found after I got into my cyclones. One has burnt wires and the other has broken magnet. I can say when taking them apart instead of using the bolts from the sub to pull out the core, use needle nosed pliers. After a good soaking of WD-40, that was the only way that I could get the one that has the broken magnet out. The core was STUCK in there. The needle nose pliers allowed for better grip that wouldn't slip. To use the pliers, put one side in the bolt hole and the other in the weld slots. The core will wiggle right out of there.
Attachments
IMG_5453.JPG
IMG_5453.JPG (602.16 KiB) Viewed 19549 times
IMG_5452.JPG
IMG_5452.JPG (575.37 KiB) Viewed 19549 times
IMG_5451.JPG
IMG_5451.JPG (573.69 KiB) Viewed 19549 times
IMG_5450.JPG
IMG_5450.JPG (594.6 KiB) Viewed 19549 times
IMG_5447.JPG
IMG_5447.JPG (584.78 KiB) Viewed 19549 times
IMG_5446.JPG
IMG_5446.JPG (546.03 KiB) Viewed 19549 times
IMG_5434.JPG
IMG_5433.JPG
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Well, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread..... hope you can teach me something new as it's always good to see how other people solve their problem[s]..... :pray:

Nico
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

So I now have started the cleaning process. These magnets are strong. I'm surprised as to how they cling on to debris. However, I have found a combination that is working pretty good with minimal trouble. I'm using a toothbrush and vacuum cleaner to loosen up everything and suck away the debris that flies off the magnets. Then I'm taking this magnetic putty that I got out of a loot crate box a few months back to finish removing the debris. My next task is to ensure the parts are actually clean then get them ready for epoxying and coating with clear coat. The epoxy I'm using I have used on just about everything and it hold really well as long as the surfaces are clean. I will add just a drop to the one clone that has a cracked magnet and then one the one that has the missing pieces, use the epoxy to put them back in. I'll give all of that a good sanding to ensure that it is perfectly smooth before clear coating. I can say that I have my work cut out for me and I hope in the long run I will have both of them working.
Attachments
IMG_5541.JPG
IMG_5539.JPG
IMG_5537.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG
IMG_5532.JPG
IMG_5531.JPG
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Good work so far. If you manage to save both cyclones then you're my hero...... :thumleft:

Remember to carefully mask the areas as shown in the tutorial before spraying the coating onto the core.
Nico
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

not sure I would have recommended gorilla glue it has a tendency to expand as it cures.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

Gorilla glue does expand a lot. I will use a small amount and the put a clamp the magnet to hold it all together. That way it will expand into crevasses. I'll sand it all down with progressive paper until it is perfectly smooth.
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

Before I start spraying the clear coat, I'll be sure it is masked properly.
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

So the magnets are put back together. The one that was just cracked is now sealed back up. You can see the crack but it is solid. The one that had pieces broken off is now all back together. So far so good on everything. I will give the magnets a good scrubbing with sand paper to smooth things out, then clean them again using a toothbrush, vacuum, and that putty stuff. Then it's off to clear coating them. I'll post pics as soon as I can.
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

Here is the taping up of the first (better) cyclone. I've also put two light coats of clear coat on it. I'm going to let it dry and harden for a week before I put it back together and try it out.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

Well my other cyclone has now been reunited with its missing magnet pieces. I decided to use 3 different forms/weights of glue. I used to thick and medium ones to set and hold the magnet. The thin was used to fill in any remaining cracks. The cyclone is all taped up and ready to get its clear coat. It took a while to get to this point. There was a lot of sanding and removing of the debris going on. The next process is to fix the burnt core. Any suggestions on how to get the burnt scoring cleaned up/off?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

CA is great for gluing yourself to damn near anything near you I really don't think it was the right place for this repair. CA needs a material it can soak into to bond with and metal is not one of those things. It will stick for a little while but will not do much in the long run.

now you need to change the poll to how long it will last. I think it will play for a while but it will no take long before that magnet breaks off again unfortunately.
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

The gorilla will hold metal. I've used it on just about all of my projects in the past. The thin ca was just to fill in seems and cracks. With the strength of the magnets, bonding from the gorilla and then the clear coating to seal it all with I hope that it will last for a while. You are right though on changing the poll. The vibrations and heat is a concern of mine. However, anything I use is a shot in the dark and worth a try. If this fails pretty quick, I'll try other things and always open for suggestions.
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

I now have the first of the two put back together. I will be posting pics later on. Since these are my first ever cyclones and I'm having to do all of this by what I have been told and can read, I do have a quick question before I throw the juice to this on in order to make sure it works. When the cyclones are clean and ready to run, do they snap back to like a neutral position when you press on the vein. Before I took mine apart you could push on the vein and it would stay to which ever side you pushed it to. Of course the one with the broken magnet didn't even move before I took it apart.
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

Here is the latest pics and a video that I posted on YouTube about the cyclone. http://youtu.be/crSUe3qreiU
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

from what I remember they acted like a speaker when you pushed on the vein and it would go back to where it started.
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

Thanks for the info. Before the cleaning neither one would do that. They stayed where ever you put them.
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

So here is the problem I'm running into with fixing my second cyclone. The center magnet does not set center. I have this thing cleaned up and smooth as silk but when I put the core back in place it always hits the center magnet in the same place no matter how I position the metal core part. Can I bend or adjust the center magnet without damaging it?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not sure what you mean by where its hitting but no magnets are not bendable. Why is the magnet moving?
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

It's not the magnet that is bending it is the rod/poll that they are attached to that isn't centered. It is leaning slightly but enough that the magnets are scrubbing. I'll post a pic later to show what it is doing.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Doesn't everything that rotates in the assembly rotates around that center point? I could not recommend bending anything to get it to fit back together. I still am not exactly sure what it hitting where
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

Here are the pics of what I'm talking about. You can see a gap on the left and bottom left of the magnet but it hit the metal core part on the top right. It hits hard enough that it scrubs on another. I have tried move the metal core part around but the magnet section keeps hitting and scrubbing in the same place (top left). This only leads me to think that the center magnet past has moved or been shifted off center.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

I have a new bearing to replace the worn out one too. I just haven't installed it yet.
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

Well I got some of the wires run. Looks like a controlled mess. The one amp that I was trying to use was the one I ran back in the early 90's. Let's just say electronics must age like people. I hooked that sucker up ran it to two 12's and when I started to adjust the gain, it started smoking. So I moved the 12's over to the pg octane and they sound amazing. The octane was the one I was going to put on the Cyclones.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

Well since my ms-275 has given up the ghost, I took the octane and hooked I up to my solobarics. I will be getting another amp to run my cyclone/s. With what I already sound like I can't imagine how things will be when the cyclone/s get into the mix. My controlled mess is hidden along with the two 12's. I've always said its better to be heard and felt while not being seen. To look in my truck it looks like a 40 year old that has a 12 year old and toddler (which is true). While in the heart there is a young beast that won't die. Yes, I've been installing car audio since 1990. I'd say I have equipment older than most people reading/keeping up with this thread/posts.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg