momstang rebuild begins.

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
lilviper

Re: momstang rebuild begins.

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:at that point when I make the speaker mount I could not help but think that not sure why but it might look cool to light up the area around the speaker. After a little thought I realized I could use the radar detector led output to light it up red when it alerts. So I used my cnc to make some acrylic rings to mount leds in and then machined a slightly larger ring out of the scrap hdpe from plugging the hole in my door to diffuse the light.
That ring mounts behind the speaker and the acrylic mount I made.
It was then that I realized that the grill that goes over it that has grill cloth on it would block most of the light. So I decided to strip the cloth off of it and sand it smooth and then it occurred to me I had these badges I got YEARS ago that I had been waiting for the perfect place to put them. I think this works.
I used a black pearl paint that has a really neat pop of colors when its in direct light and I smoothed the badges in so they are nearly flush with the surface. But now the most important part, how does it light up?
I am really happy to say its actually brighter than I thought it would be and the HDPE diffuses the light perfectly to make a nice halo.
The alarm has taken me longer than I thought but I realized my wiring standards have risen making for the majority of the install time. That along with getting sick, getting better, my dog getting sick and still cleaning up after him at all hours its taken longer than the 3 hours it use to take. I installed the window module to control both windows in both directions in case the locks should ever fail. Its the black box at the top of the panel and while I was in there I made the plug for the large window motor hole out of hdpe.
I hate bare unlabeled wires so now all wires I run are in color coded techflex and labeled on heat shrink in a few places that I have wire runs. These three runs took me about 90 mins to prep.
and have you ever installed an alarm?
But there is a 65 page manual to help you :) I wish I could show you a few of the tricks I made with out compromising the security aspect. I came up with a really cool starter kill that could not be more out in the open, and yet more hidden because of that. But anyone that is in the car looking for it will have to contend with the interior siren that is a 108db super high pitch siren that is also called an interior pain generator. I have used them before and found them to be successful at fending off some mischevious friends wanting to mess with me when it was just hidden under the dash. I found a mounting spot that could not be any louder where it is located. I still have to wire up the led(which should be cool) and a couple little things but hopefully I can finish it up before I decide to add the strobe lights I am dreaming of now...
yes, a couple hundered of them ive never put the 530, or 535's in the doors though.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat huh? I have always put them in the door myself if the switches were located there but after some thought its about the same number of wires to go through to the door. I just thought the power/trigger wires were smaller and easier than the switch wires but either works. So explain this one to me I have the 535 installed and wired and its working perfectly from the switch with one touch control and all, but when I arm it the driver side goes up as it should, the passenger side goes down. If I go to vent the drivers acts like it should but then the passenger side that is down after arming it, goes up when I vent it? How can it work correctly from the switch and backwards when under automatic control?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat huh? I have always put them in the door myself if the switches were located there but after some thought its about the same number of wires to go through to the door. I just thought the power/trigger wires were smaller and easier than the switch wires but either works. So explain this one to me I have the 535 installed and wired and its working perfectly from the switch with one touch control and all, but when I arm it the driver side goes up as it should, the passenger side goes down. If I go to vent the drivers acts like it should but then the passenger side that is down after arming it, goes up when I vent it? How can it work correctly from the switch and backwards when under automatic control?
I havent installed many 535s, but check your dipswitches.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

It turns out I wired the drivers side perfect but wired the passenger side perfectly backwards and swapped both the input and the output. This way the switch was backwards, but so was the output so it worked correctly but then when it went to automatic control it was just backwards. Slowly knocking the gremlins out of it but it seems like wack-a-mole...
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:It turns out I wired the drivers side perfect but wired the passenger side perfectly backwards and swapped both the input and the output. This way the switch was backwards, but so was the output so it worked correctly but then when it went to automatic control it was just backwards. Slowly knocking the gremlins out of it but it seems like wack-a-mole...
ive done that on 530s

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

it was the first time I ever did it like that. I think I have had one of them switched to where the switch was backwards as well but it was easier to diagnose. It might not be the last but I will know for next time.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was finally able to get some time to put the interior back together. While the seat was out I realized it would be easy to vacuum and I have not done that since I had the accident 6 yrs ago. I was sucking glass from the accident and my old dogs hair RIP. Then before I put the seats back in I realizes they have been safe and covered up but I have not put anything on them in 6 yrs either so I busted out the leather conditioner, took the seat covers off for the first time in years and forgot how nice they look(corebeau napa/alcantarra) and feel. Now I just need it to stop raining so I can get the alignment done.

I am super happy with the compustar alarm and drone system now that its programmed and set up. I am not use to the gps/phone features so that is extra cool. I have one project for the security led that I hope to get working but for now its on/working
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

noice bro

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

it just never ends :) I was down to the last 3-4 things on a once long list of things I needed to get done before the alignment. I finally got a hold of haggardy and got an insurance card printed up, I put the 2020 registration sticker on it and got the paperwork in the car and checked the tire pressure. The VERY last thing on the list was that I needed to reprogram the ride height presets for the air ride controller. I had to move the 3 of the 4 height sensors to allow for the larger tires and I had never gone back through the initialization/reprogramming sequence to allow it to learn the new locations but I wasn't worried as it should be as easy as pushing a few buttons and letting it do a little dance. Of course that will not happen as for some reason I get to the screen to start it, push "yes" to start and then it would just lock up and sit in that screen till I turned it off. I tried reprogramming the ride heights manually but it would not remember them or go back to them. Ridetech is juts an hour north of me which was one of the reasons I went with them but it was 8 yrs ago I got it. They tried to help me out and work some things through but there is some kind of firmware glitch and they quit making that system 6 yrs ago and do not have the ability to reflash/support it anymore. They offered me a deal on their new system but it uses your phone/bluetooth as the communication/display for the system and there is a little 1/2/3 button you put on the dash. Knowing that they quit supporting a hardwired screen I know there will come a day they quit supporting the constant updates to the phones systems and I will be in the same boat I am in now so I started looking at other brands even though it would mean a longer install to replace the sensors and the display as well as significantly more money than the discount they were giving me but I didn't thin I had a choice. So I got an airlift performance 3h to replace the the E3
Looks like a nicely built system. I was bummed to think that I needed to fill the hole the old display was and modify it for the new one but it will give the ability to finish the overhead console it was mounted in and I never did finish. I fired up the cnc and started the parts I needed for it.
First I cut the .25" acrylic next to the display. The only part of this that will be seen is a .05" line directly around the display that will eventually be lit up blue to match my switch panel. The paper on the back of the acrylic shows through as a brown/orange
This was the first time cutting aluminum on the new machine but it did it with no problem. The trim ring will be polished to also match the switch panel in the ashtray.
here its all put together but the fake carbon fiber will not be staying. That will get epoxied into the overhead console and then made to look like it belongs.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:it just never ends :) I was down to the last 3-4 things on a once long list of things I needed to get done before the alignment. I finally got a hold of haggardy and got an insurance card printed up, I put the 2020 registration sticker on it and got the paperwork in the car and checked the tire pressure. The VERY last thing on the list was that I needed to reprogram the ride height presets for the air ride controller. I had to move the 3 of the 4 height sensors to allow for the larger tires and I had never gone back through the initialization/reprogramming sequence to allow it to learn the new locations but I wasn't worried as it should be as easy as pushing a few buttons and letting it do a little dance. Of course that will not happen as for some reason I get to the screen to start it, push "yes" to start and then it would just lock up and sit in that screen till I turned it off. I tried reprogramming the ride heights manually but it would not remember them or go back to them. Ridetech is juts an hour north of me which was one of the reasons I went with them but it was 8 yrs ago I got it. They tried to help me out and work some things through but there is some kind of firmware glitch and they quit making that system 6 yrs ago and do not have the ability to reflash/support it anymore. They offered me a deal on their new system but it uses your phone/bluetooth as the communication/display for the system and there is a little 1/2/3 button you put on the dash. Knowing that they quit supporting a hardwired screen I know there will come a day they quit supporting the constant updates to the phones systems and I will be in the same boat I am in now so I started looking at other brands even though it would mean a longer install to replace the sensors and the display as well as significantly more money than the discount they were giving me but I didn't thin I had a choice. So I got an airlift performance 3h to replace the the E3
Looks like a nicely built system. I was bummed to think that I needed to fill the hole the old display was and modify it for the new one but it will give the ability to finish the overhead console it was mounted in and I never did finish. I fired up the cnc and started the parts I needed for it.
First I cut the .25" acrylic next to the display. The only part of this that will be seen is a .05" line directly around the display that will eventually be lit up blue to match my switch panel. The paper on the back of the acrylic shows through as a brown/orange
This was the first time cutting aluminum on the new machine but it did it with no problem. The trim ring will be polished to also match the switch panel in the ashtray.
here its all put together but the fake carbon fiber will not be staying. That will get epoxied into the overhead console and then made to look like it belongs.
8 years? wow. lol

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

and with a wave of my magic wand
This was originally an overhead console from a ford explorer that showed the compass/temp and had the overhead lights as well as a place to hold your garage door opener. I modified it to fit the display and could not be happier with how it is turning out. I need to cut two more pieces and the lighting didn't get delivered today like I hoped so there is a little more work to do before I can mount it.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I got it all installed and put it on the ground to run a calibration that is needed and discovered that I didn't make the push rods for the height sensors long enough. So it will get jacked back up tomorrow to make some adjustments but its closer now. The display could not have come out better and I painted the tank to match. They are both painted in a nighthawk black candy paint that is really cool as it has some blue pearl in it so it looks black until direct light is on it and then it lights up with blue with light.

The display does a nice little dance when you power it up. Its also easier to see in the video than the pics but if you look at the blue light that goes around it, the green stripe is continued through the light.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

sometimes the universe is just against you. I made an appointment with a shop that is closest to my house. I still didn't trust the two on the car as its close but the steering wheel is at 2 o'clock when going straight so I didn't want to go down the highway to the shops I might normally go to. This was the furthest I have driven the car yet so I kind of gave myself a little sign of the cross before I fired it up and took off. I got to the shop and told the girl that I should give her a quick lesson on how to use the air ride to be sure its high enough to get on the lift and at the right ride height after. She said she would get rick to be sure and then came back with a mechanic/owner. I explained to him the same thing and he just said that they would use their manuals on how to use the air ride as if it were a factory air ride on a 94 mustang(they knew the car). I explained it was an aftermarket system and then he said that the machine to do alignments with broke about an hour ago. I Asked when he might get it fixed and he said he didn't know it could be weeks. As I drove home I realized that I scared him. I had also asked them to put the car on the lift and give it an inspection to see if anything was wrong with it and to make sure all the bolts he can see is tight. I am sure he read that as he wanted me to say everything was good on the car and if something went wrong I would blame him. That is not the case at all I know if something goes wrong who more than likely did it wrong and i just wanted another set of eyes on it to see make sure.

In good news the car ran amazingly. It fired right up both times and while the steering was off it was not hard to keep in a straight line. I got up into 4th gear and at one point I flicked the pedal in 2nd enough to see that it was wanting to shuffle the tires almost immediately as the girl wanted to go. I think another small adjustment to the front end and I will not be as scared to drive it a little further to a different shop.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:sometimes the universe is just against you. I made an appointment with a shop that is closest to my house. I still didn't trust the two on the car as its close but the steering wheel is at 2 o'clock when going straight so I didn't want to go down the highway to the shops I might normally go to. This was the furthest I have driven the car yet so I kind of gave myself a little sign of the cross before I fired it up and took off. I got to the shop and told the girl that I should give her a quick lesson on how to use the air ride to be sure its high enough to get on the lift and at the right ride height after. She said she would get rick to be sure and then came back with a mechanic/owner. I explained to him the same thing and he just said that they would use their manuals on how to use the air ride as if it were a factory air ride on a 94 mustang(they knew the car). I explained it was an aftermarket system and then he said that the machine to do alignments with broke about an hour ago. I Asked when he might get it fixed and he said he didn't know it could be weeks. As I drove home I realized that I scared him. I had also asked them to put the car on the lift and give it an inspection to see if anything was wrong with it and to make sure all the bolts he can see is tight. I am sure he read that as he wanted me to say everything was good on the car and if something went wrong I would blame him. That is not the case at all I know if something goes wrong who more than likely did it wrong and i just wanted another set of eyes on it to see make sure.

In good news the car ran amazingly. It fired right up both times and while the steering was off it was not hard to keep in a straight line. I got up into 4th gear and at one point I flicked the pedal in 2nd enough to see that it was wanting to shuffle the tires almost immediately as the girl wanted to go. I think another small adjustment to the front end and I will not be as scared to drive it a little further to a different shop.
lol.. custom stuff always scares them.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I realized later I should have mentioned how unfortunate that it was as the 19" tires are old and need to be replaced and I hoped to get a quote from them while the work was being done. I asked around and got the name of a guy that all the low riders bring their cars to so I am going to go there. I decided last night to get a little cray-cray and took it for a little spin.
for the first time in 7 yrs the stang got its own gas. Unfortunately it helped me prove the gas gauge isn't working correctly on the holley dash but I can fix that later. The motor is running top notch and its starting up faster than I think it did when it was stock. After the gas station I could not help but to blip the throttle one time in 2nd gear around 1700 rpms and it instantly shuffled the tires and started to pull sideways. The glorious sound of the exhaust and tires squeeling made me have to let out a maniacal laugh as it really does sound good. Its actually a little louder than I would like and will probably put cats back on it but for the first time in years it was nice to not feel like lain meyer from better off dead. I didn't go straight home from the gas station as it was way too nice of a day and the car sounded too good to turn off.

I think that pic is the first time I have seen the car from that far away having been in the garage for so long. I likey...
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

throw resonators on it. cats are for cars that need inspections.. hahahahahaha

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I still have my loud button for the cut outs, its just a tad louder than I like with them closed though.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:I still have my loud button for the cut outs, its just a tad louder than I like with them closed though.
resonators help that! or they did on my car... my dad mentioned an x pipe would help quiet the car down too.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

lol it already has an X pipe on it :)
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:lol it already has an X pipe on it :)
lol..

lilviper

Post by lilviper »

lilviper wrote:
ttocs wrote:lol it already has an X pipe on it :)
lol..

So whats the plan now good sir?

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I am still just trying to get out of the house for the alignment. I switched up my diet(vegitarian) and quit taking one of my meds to see if it would help my digestive crap and the jury is still out. If I can get that done and then get it out for some drives to let the holley learn what it needs I would be happy as hell but I have been considering starting the stereo now that its running again. I Think I would start from the back forward this time and do the enclosure first. I want to try and get 2.5 cubes for a couple morel 12s back there.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:I am still just trying to get out of the house for the alignment. I switched up my diet(vegitarian) and quit taking one of my meds to see if it would help my digestive crap and the jury is still out. If I can get that done and then get it out for some drives to let the holley learn what it needs I would be happy as hell but I have been considering starting the stereo now that its running again. I Think I would start from the back forward this time and do the enclosure first. I want to try and get 2.5 cubes for a couple morel 12s back there.
i thought the tunes were already figured out..

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well yes I have all the gear short of the eq but need to start building it. The trunk in the mustang isn't a bad size but the opening to it is so getting a good sized box in it and to look good will take a little planning but with the cnc ready I am looking forward to it.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:well yes I have all the gear short of the eq but need to start building it. The trunk in the mustang isn't a bad size but the opening to it is so getting a good sized box in it and to look good will take a little planning but with the cnc ready I am looking forward to it.
take the back seat out? im unfamiliar with those mustangs.. i only installed an alarm on one. possibly the DEQ?LOL.