HOW TO SERVICE A CYCLONE SUBWOOFER PART ONE

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Oh no! Are you sure you want to do that Nico? You can draw a picture maybe?
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

:lol: ..I'm not that good drawing things; my oldest son Daniel [6] can do better than me.
I will do the coil- removing procedure again allright...that's a better idea. :wink:
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

We love :oops: you for this nico.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

What I had to do to remove the coil, with my friend...was to use the big four bolts (after removing the black cap, we took the leads off from inside the black cap so as to not even have any trouble with the cap getting caught on a tool or piece of clothing or anything that might cause damage to the leads. Anyway took the leads off from the cap side...held down by a bolt etc.) Used the four bolts and squeezed on them a bit to put pressure on the coil and one of us held the cyclone down by the black vein part. Then pulled up. Worked like a charm. took a little bit of force but came out with no issues. Tapped up everything and sprayed with varnish...waiting for it to dry. Should be good to go...was pretty dry earlier this evening.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

anyone know why some clones have passive network incorporated with them and some do not?? are the ones with the crossover (i believe it to be crossover anyways) exempt from having an active system perhaps?? or just there for some kind of filtering?? anyone know why there appears to be two different configurations???
Attachments
versus this one
versus this one
7_138.jpg (91.97 KiB) Viewed 5140 times
ie: this one
ie: this one
img_2789_158.jpg (102.67 KiB) Viewed 5140 times
Last edited by mhyde71 on Tue May 12, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
marko

Post by marko »

according to pg you must never use the cyclone in a passive system so i don't know what there correct function is...
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

kinda what i have heard also... but interesting as to why I have seen clones with (rarely) and with out (mostly).????
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

They probably put a passive crossover in place just to save clones from morons who run them >50Hz. A passive like that wouldn't have a sharp enough roll off to run it without proper active filtering, but it would probably reduce some damage at the very least.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

On the ones w/o, the white coated wires have a clearish heat shrink around the solder joints, which is where I believe the caps are in line on the ones with.

Mine didn't even have the clear heat shrink on it, it had regular clear tape. I removed that tape and then recovered them w/electrical tape.

My lacquer is drying as I type. I hope 3 coats will be enough.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

what is the purpose of the lacquer application.. sry havent been so so in tune with this... i am in process of cleaning one right now.. not the one that i have offered wakeup and bogart.. a different one.. but do i need to lacquer?? i see that the dividers between magnets have a lot to be desired... hope that is not an issue?
shaheen

Post by shaheen »

Would caps not be Highpass and not lowpass as needed.
AKA Shaheenk
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

shaheen wrote:Would caps not be Highpass and not lowpass as needed.
Yep. Hit the nail right on the head. Not sure why the caps are in there though.
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Added work on Bearing replacement:
http://phoenixphorum.com/post110099.html#110099
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

mhyde71 wrote:what is the purpose of the lacquer application.. sry haven't been so so in tune with this... i am in process of cleaning one right now.. not the one that i have offered wakeup and bogart.. a different one.. but do i need to lacquer?? i see that the dividers between magnets have a lot to be desired... hope that is not an issue?
The magnet apparently fragments over time and collects foreign particles seizing the motor. The lacquer "encases" the magnet to prevent fragmentation.

Update on mine:

All back together and it works! Yea! :D It took it a second for the motor to start working, but after that it played great. I didn't have it in a box so it was free air and w/o the resistance of the box the vain was smacking like crazy. I have just enough wood left over to build a box.

I'm going to build it this weekend so it'll be ready for upcoming shows. Need to get the word out there about these. Like an antique car.

Install:
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

the vain was smacking like crazy?

What do you mean?

When played clean...and with the right amount of power....it should not really be smacking? unless I am misunderstanding you?

My clone doesn't slap or smack around unless I over power it.
bogart

Post by bogart »

the smacking sounds like the distortion point....you'll know when these go beyond the excursion range...is this the one on the other page...with the different inner motor build....the x over thing is different too...this is the first one that I've seen with it...hmmmm
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

There's no box to help control the vains and it's hooked up to the ZPA0.5 set to give 1200 wrms to 2 12" TREOs at 2 ohms. Take that into consideration when the Cyclone is at 8 ohms.

When I get it into a box, I'll be able to hear the limit at to which I need to back down on the volume.

Install:
bogart

Post by bogart »

ahhhh...that is alot of power for that...but I saw steves run on 1500 rms give or take and it distorted quick...I've been testing them on oscillators that I've tied a small amp to....mabey 100 rms...infinite baffle as well...so are you using this on your install?
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

I dont think you need a box to "help control the veins"....what do you mean by that? The Veins will pump and move all the time. But should not do so to distortion (IE: slapping and smacking sounds....) You should get a clean humming/whirring if you will....and it will move lots of air!
Realize that w/out a box...you can't HEAR it....the idea is if you HEAR it doing much.....it's not doing it's job. And is either not repaired right, or....you are pushing too much power.
The cyclone's meant to be FELT. And again, 300watts is really what is recommended. I did pump alot to it...but In doing so...mine has some blackening and some browning of the wires and coil etc. See my thread. Anyway be careful. Chris and I checked the magnet after having used one that was coated for a while...and grant it while it's not as hairy as it gets w/out varnish, it still seems to have some magnet fuzzies!

Anyway again, careful pushing that much.
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

bogart wrote:the smacking sounds like the distortion point....you'll know when these go beyond the excursion range...is this the one on the other page...with the different inner motor build....the x over thing is different too...this is the first one that I've seen with it...hmmmm
No..that one is Matt's.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

The box I feel is important for the "suspension" part of the vain sense they don't have the usual suspension. The box adds resistance to help control the vain.

It was moving quit well. I could only hear low low low amounts of sound.

Install:
bogart

Post by bogart »

it is true that the cyc creates pressure in the box which will add resistance to the veins while running....he is right steve. I've not gotten any of the ones we have done in a box yet....still have to replace the foam. Let me know how it goes.....amplitude is the real issue that issue that I've got with these...no spl....just a low frequency kilterwhirl...I am tempted to toss a ported enclosure together for one and see
reallyxxxxxxloud

Post by reallyxxxxxxloud »

mhyde71 wrote:anyone know why some clones have passive network incorporated with them and some do not?? are the ones with the crossover (i believe it to be crossover anyways) exempt from having an active system perhaps?? or just there for some kind of filtering?? anyone know why there appears to be two different configurations???
Check its resistance as there were some 4 ohm units made... The one I have with the cap network is 4 ohm and I've been told it is there to passively correct response abnormalities... Some will argue there are only 8 ohm units, but I've seen two 4 ohm units now and both had this cap network... I have serviced mine and checked (as it was suggested a burnt coil) the coil and it was like new and plays great to boot!!!...

Nice Job Nico Boom I've done a similar thing on Talk Audio years ago but without the varnish. I've found over the years its mostly just dirt etc that's been energized over time. Any break down of the magnet is usually because the sub has built up a to thick a layer of dust and is grinding it away. It just takes regular cleaning to keep it all ok. I've six Cyclones (two brand new and four reconditioned). I've owned nine but sold three and have repaired quite a few over the years for others...
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

^^^^ Great to see you made it over here :D

Enjoy the community!!!
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

caps used passivly are high pass x-overs....... I can understand the coil being used as a low pass to protect it above 50 hz but I am not sure what the caps would do?