New member, new amp, and help needed!

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
rscecil007

New member, new amp, and help needed!

Post by rscecil007 »

All,

New member here. 1st real post, but I've been reading here for the past few weeks. Tons of great information on this site!

So I picked up a Ti 500.4 off Craigslist today for a great price. Thing is almost mint, I'd say an 8.5 out of 10, except....

I found out when I got home one of the speaker terminals is striped. How easy is this to fix? Simple 5 minute job, or super PITA?

Initially I'm guessing I'll have to retap the hole and get a new screw that's the next size up. But I'm hoping maybe you guys have a much easier solution.

Bummer it's like that, but I'm confident I can take care of it somehow.

Thanks for any help.

Ryan
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

if they look anything like this... you're good to go...! :D

There are members on here with some for sale I believe...

I may have couple extra around.. how many do you need again?
Attachments
aaa111.jpg
aaa111.jpg (138.03 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

Ah, great news. I snagged this pic off ebay this morning, but I'm 99% sure it looks like this here:

mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

oh yeah would i guess it would be...

I am not sure if those are actually around.. I know the signle level ones are...

I'll poke around see what I cant come up with ...

Matt
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

Ah, thanks. Any help's appreciated. I just hope I can get this sorted out and fixed cheap and easy.
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Welcome to the Phorum!
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

I am afraid that I dont have any of those, nor does the other member on here that I thought would... but he just wrote and said he doesnt have those.. someone on here might have something for you... but sory to take your time and get hopes up... thought there was a source for those... I have now learned it is the single tir terminals that are available...
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

Damn! Oh well, thanks for checking, it's appreciated. Maybe someone on here will see this and have one. Or maybe PG has the part, might worth a call?

How would you replace that terminal assembly anyway? Simply take the cover off and unscrew the old one and screw in a new one? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I really know very little about amplifier internals, and even less about repairing them.)
drivingdadevil

Post by drivingdadevil »

The speaker terminals would have to be desoldered from the board itself. All eight of them . It would be easier to retap the stripped connection and go with the next size up. Hope this helps.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I think I have one of those terminal assemblies, but I would need to dig deep in the parts tub for it and that requires more ambition than I have at this very moment.
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

Well crap, I don't feel too comfortable soldering this thing off/back on, even if I find a replacement. Keep in mind I haven't ever soldered anything before, or even taken the cover off an amp for that matter (sorry, I know I should be ashamed for saying that out loud here,) so I really don't know what skill level this task would require.

Maybe firing this off to PG to fix would be easier, but the guy I bought it off of would have to pay for it. Not sure how he'd feel about that.

Damn. Figures I finally find one of these and it's got an issue.
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

Just re-tap the hole. Simple 5 minute job with no soldering reqd.
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF