Tantrum t1200.1 issue

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
leeroy

Tantrum t1200.1 issue

Post by leeroy »

I have been using the T1200.1 for 2 months without any problems until today when i switched it on and it threw a fit :evil:
When i powered it up the subs started throwing massively, the amp drawing lots more current than usual. I've tried disconnecting the RCA's but its no different :? can anyone advise as to what could be wrong please?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

do the subs move and stay out? or are they playing as though there was music?

at least it doesnt sound like a tripath chip issue (because there is no fix for that)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
leeroy

Post by leeroy »

The subs are moving in and out at a steady rate to what looked like the peak of their excursion. While this is happening it's drawing a lot of current the voltage on the power cap is quickly dropping. What are the symptoms of a failed tri path chip?
leeroy

Post by leeroy »

Has anyone experienced anything like this? No signal to the amp and gain turned right down the same thing happens, subs draw right the way in then push right out at a rate of about 5 cycles per second.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Sounds like a shorted output transistor to me.

Or maybe a broken ground on the RCA jacks (some amps oscillate when this happens).
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
vingasoline

Post by vingasoline »

if the amp is drawing a lot more current, then it's most likely an output transistor.. Open it up and test them with a meter.. no need to keep powering it up in hopes of fixing it, cause the power supply will be next.
leeroy

Post by leeroy »

Thanks for the replies guys, I hope its a cheap repair. My T500.2 went pop on christmas day and is going to cost £150 to repair. Any idea how much it should cost to replace the output transistor?