what happened??!!

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

Ya the one sub is still running fine, sides for the other sub are capped off, I guess I didn't check to make sure they were both dual 4 ohm, I will though, if it was amp how could I test that? Would the amp be ruined?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Put a DMM across the output of the amp in DC mode and check that. You should read much less than 1V. Also put the (-) lead on the DMM on your amps (-) input source and touch the (+) of the DMM to each speaker output in DC mode. This will confirm if your amp has the DC offset output like many Class D amps do.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

OK, I will try that, thanks a lot man
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

OK, pulled the amp out and took back off, didn't see anything fried or anything on circuit board, also the other rsdc I had that didn't fry has a slight smell to it, normal?? Tried to hook up the good rsdc and good Atlas to see if it would work, both dual 4 ohm, amp went into protect mode right away, but with just the one good Atlas everything seems to work fine, if I test the amp with my dmm, what is DC mode?? And what exactly am I looking for?? Thanks
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

What exactly is the DC offset mode?? And how would the amp send out a DC signal?
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

schroedes wrote:if I test the amp with my dmm, what is DC mode?? And what exactly am I looking for?? Thanks

That would mean set your DMM to DC (direct current) and if you get a reading in DC volts from your amps outputs you have a problem with your amp.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

If you put the DMM in DC mode as stated, then put it across the terminals of the amp (output terminals), you should read very little DC voltage. If you are getting high DC voltage, then the amp has a problem.

What size fuse is on the amp? You may wish to install a smaller fuse, say 15A, and see if it blows. If it does blow (no speakers connected), then your amp really has a problem.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

LOL, thought you were talking bout DC mode on amp, thinking wtf, OK ill do that and let ya know, amp is Brutus 1610 with 2 70 amp fuses, what would make an amp send out a dc Signal ?
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

And I don't need load connected to do this test right?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

No load. No RCAs needed either. Just power (B+), (B-), and remote.

If any of the output transistors short on an amp it will output DC (at the rail voltage). Class D amps often have a output relay to help protect the speakers, but if a transistor is shorted and the amp has no method to detect this, it will still close the relay and fry the speaker connected to it.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Wow,this is a long tutorial, but I think its very informative and in the future if anyone has this same problem, we could just direct him to this thread.
Thank you to ERIC D for having the patience to lay it out in laymens terms and for being very thourough, schroedes, just follow and you will learn the jedi ways. Im just waiting to see where this ends up, I hope its an easy fix for you schroedes.

Im not sure if I want to ask you this but where did online ID "SCHROEDES" come from?
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

Haha, thanks a lot man, ya I hope to figure this out, gotta send it back to sonic and they are gonna test the sub and send me a new one, still waiting to get my meter, out of town right now, name just comes from my last name :lol:
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

OK, I did what you said, read about 6 millivolts, on the outputs, from the input to each output was 12.4 volts, so I'm thinking the amp is fine??
reallyxxxxxxloud

Post by reallyxxxxxxloud »

Not fine if its an intermittent short. Would a short in the winding of the Transformer cause this maybe? I have seen it a heap in the PG 9001D Transformer... It was the same amp as the Fusion FP-9001D.
PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1
ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4
AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
ECLPISE 10" X2 SW9102
PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES X2
dontlookatme

Post by dontlookatme »

maybe one was able to just handle it and the other wasnt. who knows why good things break down for no reason. but that could just be the only answer u have. ur options are limited, send the sub back to where u got it, send the amp back or both. or put another 2 new subs and see if u blow them. i had an amp blow some speakers and both on the same channel months apart. once day the amp just stop working
3x ti600.2, 1x ti1000.2 (hidding in the closet),1x 6.5 ti elite comp (front), 1x 5.25 ti elite comp (back), 2x XO crossovers, 2x tantrumX dual 4 ohm, zero point full power+ ground wiring
6x pc-ccc zero point rca
storage for the rest of my stuff
vingasoline

Post by vingasoline »

[quote="schroedes"] Tried to hook up the good rsdc and good Atlas to see if it would work, both dual 4 ohm, amp went into protect mode right away.

The amp is broken. I'm guessing when the rail voltage switches to compensate for the 1 ohm load it causes a problem with another component and sends the voltage right to the subs.. Just cause their wired parallel doesn't mean they should both be wrecked.. The amp could go into protect before damage to both woofers occur. Also, if they were wired out of phase, you would only damage one woofer.

and if you can unintentionally fry 2 subwoofers with the same amp, it's either user error, or the amp..
dontlookatme

Post by dontlookatme »

x2
3x ti600.2, 1x ti1000.2 (hidding in the closet),1x 6.5 ti elite comp (front), 1x 5.25 ti elite comp (back), 2x XO crossovers, 2x tantrumX dual 4 ohm, zero point full power+ ground wiring
6x pc-ccc zero point rca
storage for the rest of my stuff
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

Well sonic is sending me another new sub, how could I know if its the amp? I really don't wanna hook it up and blow my new subs again, any ideas?? Would it be safer to just wire em for 4 ohms instead of 1?? Thanks guys
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

???? Anyone?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Hook the amp up without any speakers first and then see if it works by seeing if it will output a signal into your DMM.
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

Ya I did that, refer to above, 12 volts at input and very small voltage at outputs, I just don't wanna blow a brand new sub again ya know LOL, amp is nearly brand new as well
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

schroedes wrote:Ya I did that, refer to above, 12 volts at input and very small voltage at outputs, I just don't wanna blow a brand new sub again ya know LOL, amp is nearly brand new as well
How small of a voltage are we talking here?

How have you set the gains? I highly recommend you try this method to set them:
http://phoenixphorum.com/gain-setting-w ... vt280.html

You shouldn't be reading much, if any DC with the gains set properly like this.
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

Less than a volt at outputs, I still have a rsdc I could sacrifice to to test the amp somehow? Like I said the amp ran the one new Atlas fine just kind of lost
schroedes

Post by schroedes »

I'm just kind of lost I meant, really don't wanna blow new Atlas again, pain in the ass to return last one
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

If you don't want to blow subs then make sure your amp doesn't clip. If you don't want your amp to clip you have to set the gains properly. One of the ways to do that is set them with a multimeter and test tone.

All you need to do is play a 60Hz tone at 3/4 deck volume, all equalization disabled, and with no speakers connected. Then measure for sqrt(1200*4) = 69.28 volts A/C at the amp outputs. Leave bass boost off, forever. Odds are that this will be much quieter than where you set them previously. Benefit is, if you crank your bass music, you won't blow anything.