alpine 9887 ipod help

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

alpine 9887 ipod help

Post by ttocs »

I have never wanted an ipod because I have always used my phone for music but I have found a pretty cool place to mount one in my mustang and would like the convenience of it in there so I am a little late to check out ipods.... This is an older deck and not sure what ipods are compatable with it, the manual states:

Fourth generation iPod: Ver. 3.1.1
Fifth generation iPod: Ver. 1.1.2
iPod photo: Ver. 1.2.1
iPod mini: Ver. 1.4.1
iPod nano: Ver. 1.2

Does that include the ipod touch when it says fourth generation or is there a different one?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
todd217

Re: alpine 9887 ipod help

Post by todd217 »

you will need the voltage adapter that alpine makes for the newer ipod touches and iphone 4. it may not want to work at first and you may have to play around with it. i had to plug my iphone4s in then hit the reset button on the 9887 to get it to work.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

this would be something I would rarely take out just to update. The cup holders in the 94-95 mustangs are almost useless. The fold up out of the consol and then hold the can(no bigger) directly over the fog light switch which has been known to cause problems. So instead of a useless cup holder I never use I am going to mount the ipod there. When its folded out it would be in perfect reach and folded in would be totally hidden.

Voltage adaptor?
todd217

Post by todd217 »

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

cool thanks mang! Now how do I know which Fourth generation iPod: Ver. 3.1.1 the ipod is online?
todd217

Post by todd217 »

do you all ready have an ipod?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

no and never looked into them which is why I am ipod ignorant = ipognorant I think its called in apple speak....

But I am gonna be lookin if anyone has one.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

ok if all you are going to be using it for is music in the car meaning no games or video. you dont need the touch. look for these http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which- ... ality.html . the 9887 does not bypass the ipods dac like some of there other units. also get the biggest you can find if you plan on using apple lossless http://www.applelossless.com/ .
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I've used the ipod touch, nano and ipad and they all work for music. The 3rd ipod classic is the only one that was able to be charged through the 9887 for me. The nano, ipad and touch did not charge which become inconvenient if you are leaving it in the car. I would be listening to the nano and after a few days the batt would die out then I'd have to disconnect and charge it.

I didn't know about the 9887 using the dac on the Apple device. I assumed it didn't. I do notice some mp3s sound like ass through the 9887 and not on the earphones direct from the Apple device. One more thing, you can pull music off the ipad to the 9887 and still use apps on the ipad itself. Pretty good for long trips for music and keeping the wife busy with games and internet...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I actually will have screens if there is a way to get the video out to them.
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

There's an adapter for composite, HDMI, vga out for the ipad and itouch. I haven't tried playing a movie while music is playing through the deck...

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would like to put a movie together with the build pics and some videos to show while its at shows.
00goobs

alpine 9887 ipod help

Post by 00goobs »

Cool idea. With the iPad, you could play the sideshow while music is playing through the iPod interface. With an ipad2, you could take the video with it and play it along with the sideshow of pictures. There is a tool to get pictures off your camera and go straight into the iPad... I found my ipad2 for $250. For what I can do with it and the portability, easily a great free time investment.

The screen would be the best for a display "in car" as far as resolution and space...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
00goobs

alpine 9887 ipod help

Post by 00goobs »

I just tested and the pictures and videos play in order. So if set up, you could have the pictures in sequence and special vids will be in the sideshow as well...

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the ipad is a great source but I am trying to put it in a place that use to hold a single soda. I also will have a single disk dvd player that I can do movies on so its not the most important thing to have video but sooner or later I am sure I would have something I would rather just load on the ipod then to make a dvd.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

00goobs wrote:I've used the ipod touch, nano and ipad and they all work for music. The 3rd ipod classic is the only one that was able to be charged through the 9887 for me. The nano, ipad and touch did not charge which become inconvenient if you are leaving it in the car. I would be listening to the nano and after a few days the batt would die out then I'd have to disconnect and charge it.

I didn't know about the 9887 using the dac on the Apple device. I assumed it didn't. I do notice some mp3s sound like ass through the 9887 and not on the earphones direct from the Apple device. One more thing, you can pull music off the ipad to the 9887 and still use apps on the ipad itself. Pretty good for long trips for music and keeping the wife busy with games and internet...

Did you try the voltage adaptor to see if they would charge?
00goobs

alpine 9887 ipod help

Post by 00goobs »

Nope, I've only used the iPod cable from eBay. I didn't even know about the voltage adapter thing until your post, hehehe...

todd217

Post by todd217 »

i got mine for less than $20 on ebay. it seemed to work pretty good no heat issues ect.
00goobs

alpine 9887 ipod help

Post by 00goobs »

todd217 wrote:i got mine for less than $20 on ebay. it seemed to work pretty good no heat issues ect.
Thanks, I just got one. It would be nice not to have to remove my nano from its hiding spot in the car, hehehe. It stays on while plugged in and the batt dies after 2 days being plugged in.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

cool just need to find an old one then I guess.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Here ya go, to help sort through all of the confusion.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353

That is the chronological order of all the Ipod devices from day one.
Around 2006/07 Apple changed up the dock connector and eliminated the 12v charging option and stuck with 5v charging via USB connections.
This is the issue with charging any of the newer Ipods/Iphones/Ipads, because the older HU's dont provide 5v like a USB plug and the 12v connection is no longer there inside the newer devices. They should all work fine, just no charging on the newer ones without an adapter.

The 5th gen Ipod and older will charge just fine & operate just fine, from the 6th gen (Ipod "classic" ) and newer you will need an adapter for them to charge.

As for video output...
I never had a 1st gen itouch, but any device after the Ipod touch 2nd gen will require an Apple authorized cable to put out video. They introduced a vchip protocol in the firmware, and if there is no proprietary Apple chip present in the dock connector the ipod will lock out video. Its total BS, because if I roll back my 2g Itouch I can use a cheap Ebay cable for full audio & video output, but once updated it tells me the cable is unauthorized and no longer provides video playback.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

was lookin at this again as I am trying to get it right and had one last question. Will I have a problem with playin my mp3s on my phone as well as on here after moving everything through itunes?
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Change the settings in iTunes to import your music as mp3's and they will stay the same. By default iTunes changes & imports the music in AAC format(?) which doesn't work on many other devices. Changed to mp3 & you're golden.