PG Cyclone IB in car?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
avalanchels

PG Cyclone IB in car?

Post by avalanchels »

I know the Cyclone was originally intended for IB use but I don't recall ever seeing someone use it thay way in a car...we all know it certainly was never marketed as an IB driver either. I have a 2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport with a trunk big enough to fit a small army. I was thinking about doing 1 Cyclone in the rear deck running off of an a/d/s P240.2 bridged which would produce around 60-80 watts at 8 ohms. I'll be doing a set of 8's up front running from 40-80 to take care of what the Cyclone can't handle.

Thoughts?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
avalanchels

Re: PG Cyclone IB in car?

Post by avalanchels »

I'm surprised no one has made a peep on this topic

00goobs

PG Cyclone IB in car?

Post by 00goobs »

I've asked before. I wanted to try it, but have not even begun to set up my car IB yet. I've heard an IB set up with 2 15s and remembered how I THOUGHT it sounded hollowish. So, my cyclone is hiding until I make a nice big ass enclosure to experience the lower frequencies they claim. I really believe in my sedan, the subs need the trunk to help get that sound I like. I've tried the same sub set up in the cabin and it didn't hit as low as I liked. Same exact set up, just moved the 2 10" JLW3V3 sealed into the car and into the trunk. There was a huge difference in just placement as well as direction in the trunk. I think it would be pretty bad to IB the cyclone only to find out the trunk is necessary to help develop the lower frequency wave in the drivers seat...

But, if/when you try it and it works great, I will be quick to follow... I've read of people using it in home theater with 6cuft and one cyclone flexing the windows...

Hello from my IPad!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

cyclones are a funny beast. We all have a bit of soft spot for them especially if you have never heard/seen one in action as many have not. Those of us that were lucky enough to try out out while we still have a soft spot for the bass they put out we have a hard time ignoring the down side of the design. They put out an amazing amount of sound up to 50 hz but after that you will need another sub to match with it. I installed one with a 10 and was amazed at the sound inside the cabin as it made for a nice mix of low end but as soon as you opened the trunk the mechanical noise on it was hard to ignore. They were a bit touchy about the enclosures they liked and never personally heard of anyone running it IB myself. Afraid the trunk of crown vic might be a bit big for a single cyclone as they are huge...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
avalanchels

Post by avalanchels »

Thanks fellas. I have heard a Cyclone...as a matter of fact it was 2 Cyclones and 4 Xmax 10's powered by ZX Ti series amps in a Durango. Ever since then I was hooked. I am on the verge of picking one up to finally be able to experiment on my own. Maybe I'll just have to try the IB alignment out and report back with my findings.

avalanchels

Post by avalanchels »

I'm thinking IB might work. The Crown Vic trunk is 21 cubic feet but the VAS of a Cyclone is nearly 30 cubic feet. So while it won't truly adhere to the laws of IB, I feel that it would still perform well in a trunk the size of the Crown Vics. Am I thinking about this the right way?

joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

If i get behind the stupid shortcut "IB" i might have to write a few lines,......or not.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
avalanchels

Post by avalanchels »

joerg wrote:If i get behind the stupid shortcut "IB" i might have to write a few lines,......or not.
IB=Infinite Baffle

joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Whenever u use a cyclone make sure u have a sealed enclosure of at least 2.5cuft to a max of 3.25cuft. Depending if the driver is inside or outside the housing. Never ever use a vented enclosure. I had 2 Cyclones playing off an original MS2250 @3Ohms bridged. Cutted the frequency at 60Hz with 12dB.
The frontstage was a TI951 which took over at 55HZ. I can guarantee u´ll love it. Just make sure u give the clone more juice than recommended. 500Watts won´t hurt since control will get a lot better.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

A Crown Vic LX sport??
i want pics...
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
00goobs

PG Cyclone IB in car?

Post by 00goobs »

I missed the part where this was going in a Crown Vic, hehehe... You could fit one of those Clarion 32" subs in that trunk...

Hello from my IPad!
avalanchels

Post by avalanchels »

Stryker wrote:A Crown Vic LX sport??
i want pics...
Ask and you shall receive...

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1351815539800.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1351815526097.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1351815511042.jpg
avalanchels

Post by avalanchels »

00goobs wrote:I missed the part where this was going in a Crown Vic, hehehe... You could fit one of those Clarion 32" subs in that trunk...

Hello from my IPad!
Haha no kidding...only thing is, I don't want to take up the entire trunk with audio (I do but I am trying my hardest not to). Had 4 amps and 2x 18's in the trunk of my last vehicle.

Drock

PG Cyclone IB in car?

Post by Drock »

Stupid question, what is IB?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

IB = infinite baffle. You seal your trunk off from the front passenger cabin and basically make a really big enclosure out of the trunk. Personally I have found it easier to build a box then to seal a trunk....
00goobs

PG Cyclone IB in car?

Post by 00goobs »

ttocs wrote:IB = infinite baffle. You seal your trunk off from the front passenger cabin and basically make a really big enclosure out of the trunk. Personally I have found it easier to build a box then to seal a trunk....
The 3 12" RSDCs says you're correct... I love the sound at the sacrifice of my whole trunk. I'll just have to make a roof rack to hold my groceries...

Hello from my IPad!
Drock

PG Cyclone IB in car?

Post by Drock »

Thanks Scott. Told you it was a stupid question. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Drock

PG Cyclone IB in car?

Post by Drock »

I've never seen a cyclone, how does it work? Is it an actual driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

rather then a speaker that moves forward/back to create the sound, the cyclone has a flat piece that turns clock-wise/counter-clock-wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffJ46-Xj9h4
avalanchels

Post by avalanchels »

ttocs wrote:rather then a speaker that moves forward/back to create the sound, the cyclone has a flat piece that turns clock-wise/counter-clock-wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffJ46-Xj9h4
I understand this. I've seen and heard Cyclones in 3 different setups. How this driver differs from a conventional loudspeaker has nothing to do with its ability to perform in an IB alignment.