questions about m44 and needing advice.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gtrotter

questions about m44 and needing advice.

Post by gtrotter »

I'm looking to overhaul my 01 jetta with new components and an amp.

Here is my current setup:
HU: Sony MP80 (matches interior well)
Sub: Memphis 12" Dual voice coil
Amp: Memphis 250D
Front and Rear: All Factory

I'm pretty set on going with Hertz HSK 165 component speakers for the front sound stage and leave the rear factory speakers for filler.

Update: Just bought a set of 6.5 PG Component Speakers RSD65CS for $70.

I was wondering if I should power my Memphis 12" and the components with a phoenix gold M44. I'd use the Front channel for the comps in 4 ohms then bridge the sub to 2 ohms.

If not an M44 what would be a good choice.

I don't want to spend more than $500 on my overhaul.

So far I've spent $120 on sound deadening materials. That leaves me $380 to spend on components and an amp.

I've never owned anything PG but was always impressed with the SQ of other installs with PG amps.

I'm not looking for SPL, just nice clean sounding music.

Any feedback or advice is GREATLY appreciated. :D
Last edited by gtrotter on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

ok jus some advice no offense, SELL all of ur stuff. First replace the HU ur system is as only as good the HU if it puts out a quality signal then any amp will amplify a quality signal. But if its a crappy signal then it amplifies a crappy signal. Then sell all ur memphis and switch to ALL PG stuff. You can find allot of PG stuff at great prices right now on the web. Like 12" RSdC for $100, Comps RSd6c for $50, RSD500.4 amp for $200. there is allot of great things at great prices availible right now. But please dont take it the wrong way.
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

Yes, that would work fine although the 2 ohm mono side of the M44 would be having a hard time of it (but would do it). If you are going to be listening at normal volume levels then this setup should be OK, but if you like to crank it, then you may find the sub wanting more power.

Whats the sensitivity rating on the sub??

Also, if the Hertz are what tickles you fancy then go for it. Most importantly though, listen to them before you buy them and make sure you like the way they sound with the type of music you listen to.

Personally I'd just disconnect the rears, use your memphis amp on your sub, and run the M44 bridged to your new front components. If you want to have a play in the future and gain a bit more 'tuneability', you could change to active on your front end and run the 44 as a 4ch again.
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
gtrotter

Post by gtrotter »

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I'm not selling anything. I like my memphis equipment and its been very reliable for 7 years now. I might upgrade something in the future but its always nice to have backups.

My HU isn't great but it suits me fine. Its got 4V outputs and I play my music through an iPhone. (Its my navigation, jukebox, everything...its just easy and wonderful...I know I won't get the best sound but I'm not an audiophile)

I'm not sure what sensitivity the sub is. I'm feeding it 125 watts RMS right now via a class D amp in 2 ohm and it cranks loud enough for me.

Is there a different amp that I could buy used for less than $200 that would power my whole system?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Yeah, the M44 wouldn't like 2 ohm bridged unfortunately. While it would be stable, it wouldn't be ideal. That equals 1 ohm stereo on the rear channels, while your front channels are running at 4 ohms stereo. The power supply for the amplifier powers both sides simultaneously, so when you get a big bass hit, it can throw all of the amps power through just two of your channels. Odds are this will fry your transistors over time.

Both of Andy's suggestions are a much better use of your current equipment. If you want to keep rear fill, I suggest running it off of deck power at a reduced volume.

If you keep your eyes peeled, you might find a matching M25, M50 or M100 to run the subs with, for under $200. As long as you go easy on the gains, and ideally put a fan on them, they should handle 2 ohms bridged much better than a 4 channel amp.
gtrotter

Post by gtrotter »

After reading through all of these forums its nice to see a loyal following with a brand. I'm going to buy an old school phoenix gold amp to power my comps and maybe a separate old school pg amp to power my sub.

I've got the car audio bug again. (uhh-oh)

The only hesitation is that I won't really know what to do if an older amp breaks or blows something internally. Are most amp complications pretty simple and straight forward to repair? If not, is there somewhere I can send it to be repaired?

I'm looking to buy an m44 for the components and then maybe another M series amp to power the sub later on.

Let me know if anyone knows where I can find an m44. (will be looking on these forums and ebay).
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

On an older amp, it is a good idea to replace the capacitors. When they age, they start to leak electrolytic fluid on the circuit board. Eventually as it accumulates it can short out and cause your board to go poof.

Fortunately on the M amps it is much easier than, say, the MS line. The capacitors can be accessed quickly, by removing the amp's cover. All you need is a little skill with a soldering iron to replace them. Check our How-To area for some guides.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

I will have a pair of custom M-series amps available for sale here shortly...

These as seen here:
http://phoenixphorum.com/my-m44-project-vt10465.html

caps will be replaced before selling, as pointed out above...
Only conceern is that they may be a lil over budget, but I can work with you (i.e. payment, or sold w/o silkscreening (possibly) to ruduce cost) give it some thought, lemme know.

m
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
gtrotter

Post by gtrotter »

Since I bought the RSD65CS for only $70 I have a little more money to spend on amps and maybe a new sub.

I have $300 to spend on an amp to power my new components and maybe a new sub.

I was thinking of going with an M44 for Fronts/Rear (hopefully well less than $200

Then maybe a RSDC124 for a new sub. (around $100)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Why not a newer amp? RSD500.4's are cheap as hell now, and you wouldn't have to worry about blemishes of used gear, or replacing the capacitors.

If I was you I would buy this ASAP...
http://phoenixphorum.com/fs-pg-x400-1-a ... t9836.html

$300 for both an X200.4 and X400.1. The X200.4 will run your whole stereo and then some, with 200x2 for your components and 400x1 for the sub. Not to mention you also get an X400.1 to run the sub separately if you want to run 400x2 to your comps :lol: