RSD are "ok" but I need something better

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
KillerX

RSD are "ok" but I need something better

Post by KillerX »

Well I took out my advanced audio in the front and installed my RSD 6". Now if I were to compare apples to apples the stock stereo was 6.5" compared to the 6" RSD's bu I felt that my stock system had more mid bass then the RSds! I kinda felt crappy afterwords taking all that time and installing it to second guessing my self into thinking to maybe take them out and put the stock back in.

I have to admit im running the mids off my deck as well, maybe if I toss in my amp it may get better but man how are these not as good as GM speakers? (of course I also have to say the GM speakers had a huge magnet that was bigger then the RSd's but the magnet doesnt always matter

Anyhoo Im looking for the best mid bass I can get. What good sets should I be looking at out there? price range maybe $200-300? or if its a bit more tell me because i dont mind spending money if its going to be a good product

Brad :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Your stock speakers are probably lower impedance.

Get a real amp on them ya silly hoser :roll:
packersfan

Post by packersfan »

just installed the 6.5 components in my ford escape 09 and boy oh boy did they blow away the stock and the bass from them is unreal!! Just have to set the gain on the amp but i am using a line level adapter and do i set it max or what to ensure my gain is ok?
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

I would bet my left nut that your stock spkrs have a higher sensitivity rating than the RSD's hence your less than stellar results.

Put an amp on em.
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
KillerX

Post by KillerX »

ahhhh darn!!!! This means im gonna have to build a install for my car! greaaaaat

ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

build an install?
boogiem0nst3r

Post by boogiem0nst3r »

lol...stock speakers better then rsd?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

your situation is like cars

you had a civic (speakers)...with a civic engine (head unit)

now you have a mustang (speakers with more potential) and still have a civic engine in it

the small magnet, paper cone with thin foam surround...of course they are more efficient then the rsd's. give them some power!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
KillerX

Post by KillerX »

well boys and girls I hooked them up to my zx950 and they sound alot better but im still not "that" impressed with them, I have my 5.25 ZP in the rear and it seems like I had to turn down the rears because the tweets sounded like someone was actually hitting a symbol behind my head. I donno I cant explain it buuut I must say the 5.25 Zero points dont seem as loud as the OEM speakers as well maybe its just me, maybe I need to get a sub in there to complete the sound group lol...

Anyhoo I already cut the wood for my rears, I hate to loose the space in my trunk (i have a small hatch back) but if it must be done properly, it must be done.

GEEER Stipud!!! I keep looking at the MS series amps and I keep loving the open internal look geeer!!! I....must....resist.....keeep......ZX......

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

KillerX wrote:GEEER Stipud!!! I keep looking at the MS series amps and I keep loving the open internal look geeer!!! I....must....resist.....keeep......ZX......
Who cares what I think? Run MS if you want. :lol:

But why are you running rear fill? Cut it out completely and bridge the ZX450 side to the RSD's. Pretty sure you will like them then :twisted:
KillerX

Post by KillerX »

stipud wrote:
KillerX wrote:GEEER Stipud!!! I keep looking at the MS series amps and I keep loving the open internal look geeer!!! I....must....resist.....keeep......ZX......
Who cares what I think? Run MS if you want. :lol:

But why are you running rear fill? Cut it out completely and bridge the ZX450 side to the RSD's. Pretty sure you will like them then :twisted:
Ok so heres another issue I really dont wanna run 2 sets of RCAs (front and rear speakers) to the ZX so is there any way I can get around that so I can use one set for all 4? I dont really care if its stereo 4 speaker sound as long as I dont have to run an another darn RCA through the car

Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

it should have a switch....or you can use y splitters
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

KillerX wrote:Ok so heres another issue I really dont wanna run 2 sets of RCAs (front and rear speakers) to the ZX so is there any way I can get around that so I can use one set for all 4? I dont really care if its stereo 4 speaker sound as long as I dont have to run an another darn RCA through the car

Of course... the ZX450 side could actively crossover a three-way setup.

The question is what do you plan to do? Two front, two rear and a sub? Fronts active and a sub? Fronts passive bridged and a sub?
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I took out the stock 4 x 6's in my wifes Pontiac Grand Am GT and put in the Clarion 4 x 6 plates I had. I know these Clarions play well for a 4 x 6 plate as I had them in my Bravada a few years ago, but the stock speakers sounded better.

I believe it's due to engineering. I feel that the space that the factory speakers were in was perfect for them. The speaker was designed for the space available in short. Believe it or not, attempts have been made in the automotive industry to improve the sound in a car. :wink:
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
KillerX

Post by KillerX »

stipud wrote:Two front, two rear and a sub?
Thats what I wanna do but I dont even know if Im going to be putting the sub section in yet so the zx500 of the 950 will be useless if I dont
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

KillerX wrote:
Thats what I wanna do but I dont even know if Im going to be putting the sub section in yet so the zx500 of the 950 will be useless if I dont
You could bridge the zx450 to your front and use the zx500 on the rear for now. Would need to use y-splitters for that though...
KillerX

Post by KillerX »

stipud wrote:
KillerX wrote:
You could bridge the zx450 to your front and use the zx500 on the rear for now. Would need to use y-splitters for that though...
Hmm I guess but what if I just used the ZX450 side for fronts and backs for now, would I still need 2 rcas and how should I wire it

Thanks for all your help btw
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You an use one RCA... just set the rear source to front ;)
mrblob

Post by mrblob »

I think most stock speakers produced a lot of mid bass at low volumes, but absolutely crackled snapped popped at higher volume settings.

Also, you need to tune your amp,