Shallow sub choice - PG SL10D2 ?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
boson21

Post by boson21 »

Hi, I’m new to Phoenix Gold as a brand and have shortlisted the SL10D2 as I need a shallow sub. I have modelled it against the Pioneer TS-SW2501S2 and Alpine SWRT10 in WINISD and it extends lower with a higher SPL than the well regarded Alpine, and provides a flatter response than the Pioneer in the 18l sealed enclosure I have to work with.

I have read a German test that has the Thiele / Small parameters different to those published in the datasheet and I’m also trying to understand if the published SPL of 90db is correct and if so is this 2.83V or 1w@1m (as I’m modelling using WINISD I really need to be comparing drivers based on the same units to make any sense).

So, can anyone;
  • Confirm the specs / parameters (and provide an accurate 1w@1m SPL figure)?
  • Provide any insight into how the driver performs in real-life (or can give compassion with either of the others mentioned)?
  • Or have any other suggestions for my application (installing in existing sub space to limited to 18l sealed enclosure with 200W to drive it).
Many thanks… :)
boson21

Re: Shallow sub choice - PG SL10D2 ?

Post by boson21 »

I suppose that answers it then - if nobody can provide input and are not prepared to recommend the driver on the vendors own forum then guess what, I'm staying away!! Shame as it looked reasonable on paper, but there you have it...
holmis

Post by holmis »

boson21 wrote:I suppose that answers it then - if nobody can provide input and are not prepared to recommend the driver on the vendors own forum then guess what, I'm staying away!! Shame as it looked reasonable on paper, but there you have it...
You got to get PPL time to see the post....

& welcome to the Phorum 8)
Old School PG Fan/Collector & Jeep fanatic...
Madman in a nuclear mode!!
2x FAS, 3xReactor, MS275, MS2125, M25, M44, 2xMPS2240, ZX450, 3xZX350, 2xZX250, 8xPG Original Jacket, Box full of BassQube`s Xmax8,10,12, 2 sets of BostonAcoustics 6.5.3 + + +

My Buyer & Seller Ratings : http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15269
My CV Recone service: www.cerwinvega.multi2net.com
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I think it's funny that people think that members of any forum are just staring at their computer waiting for someone to make a post on anything. I am guilty of checking the phorum daily, sometimes even twice daily. I am sure there are other forums where there are those elusive cyber trolls that wait for any activity to give their 3.5 cents.

But it seems that this forum contains people with lives and who are quite possibly out enjoying their PG products away from their computers, or Internet devices. What is this phorum coming to when a question can't be answered in the first 24 hours of its posting? I feel ashamed/guilty of driving around aimlessly and listening to my Ti amps, or dusting my M amps off instead of watching for any post to pop up in my favorite phorum...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

I was looking at the same two sub's. came down to the fact that the pioneer could be run free air, pg could not. I am told the pioneer's really poud in a seald box. havent heard about pg performance.
Collection Growing..........
boson21

Post by boson21 »

Fair point in regards to replies, I was just surprised that with reps on here too I hadn't had any input or feedback (it had nearly 30 views at the time, so it wasn't as if nobody had read). I also get that its a very specific driver, and maybe nobody that read had any direct experience of it - but as a noob some input into the brand even would have been useful don't you think? Anyway, seems as soon as i posted something a little contentious I started to receive replies at least :)

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, wasn't the intention (honest)!
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

You can email Morgan West, an employee of PG with any specific questions you have about this sub or any other PG product. He is very prompt with his replies.

[email protected]
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Boson,

The specs provided is after a break in period. If the reviewer did not break in the driver, then T/S parameter can certainly vary. Also, T/S parameters will vary from driver to driver just due to natural tolerances.

The Alpine is VERY nice woofer, I have tested and played with one, but its spendy, more than 3 times the price of an SL10. Is it worth 3 times the price? That's not for me to say, but in your application you have 200w which is an excellent match for a SL woofer. I think the Alpine might be a bit unpowered.

The SL woofer does extremely well in small sealed boxes. Its has excellent excursion and ability to drive low notes with authority unlike many other slim woofers. We spent considerable amount of time of the motor design to get the proper balance of motor force, excursion and compliance in such a slim package.

As far as market reception, we have been shipping them for over 1 year and they are consistently one of the top 3 sellers for PG woofers on a monthly basis.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
boson21

Post by boson21 »

Fantastic - thank you :)